• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

playin with my GPS...

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
ok.. i got my new Magellan Sporttrak and i am learning to navigate myself around the neighborhood with it.. who's got a lattitude and longitude for slickrock campground or Moab center or any other point of intereest i can play with?? i know several of you must.. i need a destination when i "launch"
mike

oh it has a bunch of stuff i dont understand yet... and some downloadable topo maps etc... just looking for some numbers to punch in so i can learn to do that too....
mike

Slickrock Campground:

WGS84 map datum
N 38* 35.649'
W109* 34.034'

I usually drive right by the campground 'cause their sign is kind of obscured from view until you are right on top of it, plus there is always a semi tailgating me all the way out of town. Doing a "goto" makes it a lot easier for me to find it. :)

You nearly miss it because the ACTUAL coords are:

N 38* 35.529'
W109* 34.110'

:D

(Sorry Alex, looked at my numbers and couldn't resist)

Actually Mike, you won't have to worry about any 18 wheelers tailgating you as you come OUT of town since you'll be approaching from the NORTH side of Moab, just south of the CO River Bridge.

Hint: BIG purple sign that says "RV Resort" on the southbound side of 191.

If you get lost - just head for:

N 38* 36.408'
W109* 32.094'

Some one will be along eventually . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Mike, you might want to be careful giving out those coordinates...

orig.jpg

You might have a bunch of lost jeepers driving over your tent while looking at their GPS! :D

If you go to the other coordinate bunch of Cherokees will find you on 10/10/03, for sure!

what happened to the old...

MarkII Eyeball method? Huh? you guys have your heads stuck so far up your...your..your...your GPS's (that's it!) that you don't remember how to drive and look out the window at the same time.:D :D :D

Alex, neat mapping software - someday when I get a real PC I'll have to get me one of those!

Danno - sure, slickrock and the desert have plenty of unique, visual landmarks. Wouldn't want to have backup, now would we?

( :eyes: still work good though - Got you to the Confluence, didn't I?)

Dan- Sometimes the eyeball method doesn't worky so well. I sometimes drive around in the wilderness in the dark.

Then there was that last trip to Hell's Revenge in the late afternoon. It was impossible to see the flames painted on the slickrock with the sun shining directly in my eyes, a couple of degrees above the horizon. Fortunately I had the track in my GPS... otherwise we would have done a lot more of this! :D

standard.jpg

Back