• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new to this..

2001 XJ Sport

NAXJA Forum User
hey all! im starting to get into fabing my own stuff. and the first thing im gonna start with is a transfer case drop and skid plate. any in put on what all i would need to do the t-case drop? then i plan on making a front bumper already started drawing it up!!! thanks guys much appreciated

A TC drop is a cheap and temporary means to reduce driveline vibrations following installation of a lift kit of 3" or less. Depending on your other specs, you would need an SYE kit if you lift beyond 4".

If you really want to fab up a TC drop, you'd first need to determine what size drop you want. Every Jeep is different and the variables come from year, type of transfer case, front differential, rear pinion angle, etc. A 1" drop might work for some, and a 1/2" drop might be best for others. You'll want to figure that out before expending time, money, and materials. (By the way, your 2001 XJ implies a low pinion Dana 30, which will be greatly different than say a '99 XJ with a high pinion Dana 30 differential).

Also, transfer case skid fitment may depend on the TC drop you add. I suggest either eliminating the TC drop and going for an SYE installation first, or building a TC skid that can accommodate a drop from .5 to 1.5 inches. The ironic thing is the more you drop your TC, the more you need the skid.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back