• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque managment

mog404s

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the wire snip method of removing the torque managment feature to improve shift firmness works on the xj aw4? I have read how well it works on the Grand Cherokee. I have a 1999 xj that has shifted quite poorly since it was new, the dealer told me they were not allowed to touch these transmissioms only put a rebuilt one in if there was a problem and it may not work as good as the one I had.

Shifted poorly compared to what ?

Have you tried adjusting the TV cable ?

THROTTLE VALVE CABLE
Transmission throttle valve cable adjustment is
extremely important to proper operation. This adjustment
positions the throttle valve, which controls shift
speed, quality, and part-throttle downshift sensitivity.
If cable setting is too loose, early shifts and slippage
between shifts may occur. If the setting is too
tight, shifts may be delayed and part throttle downshifts
may be very sensitive. Refer to the Adjustments
section for the proper adjustment procedure.

I know how the throtle valve adjustment works. What I am concerned with is the computer backing off the timing or what ever it does at WOT shifts and can this feature be easily blocked.

What for ?

AFAIK, the PCM does not retard timing for WOT shifts. The 4.0L simply reaches maximum horsepower and torque at about 4200 rpm, long before it reaches maximum red line rpm's.

I know how the throtle valve adjustment works. What I am concerned with is the computer backing off the timing or what ever it does at WOT shifts and can this feature be easily blocked.

there is no torque management in the AW4. It's strong enough to handle all the 4.0 can give it, provided you don't overheat it.

nothing about a grand cherokees drivetrain is similar to ours in the later model years.

I believe only the 93 ZJ had the AW4.

Considering that Toyota Supras pushing 600hp run this transmission (well, OK, it has an additional clutch and is called an A340) as long as the temps are controlled and the fluid is changed on schedule, they should run a very long time. Heat and dead fluid kill these boxes...

Back