• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this too long

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
aefdc12b-2d77-34f7.jpg

I just swapped this dana 44 into my 92. Xj stock auto front drive shaft
It has about 5/8 to 3/4 before its collapsed all the way

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
depends on what kind of travel you are pulling really. but in most cases that would be too short

I've got the same amount of slip left on mine - been running it for years without issue.

Two tests to find out if you have enough slip:
1) Jack up the body and put the frame on jackstands, then let the rear end droop as far as it can. Do you have enough slip?
2) Put the vehicle back on the ground and lift one tire until you hit the bumpstop. Do you have enough slip.

Should be fine pending on your suspension travel but if you pop the plug out of the end of the slip yoke then I'd shorten it no more than a half inch.

It all depends on your suspension and its geometry. I run Ford radius arms that are almost the exact length of the drive shaft and my slip yoke only moves maybe a half inch. I have only about 1" clearance and it has been fine rock crawling for years.

In short, flex the suspension and see how it does. That is really the only way you are ever going to know for sure.

Back