• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1694 Trouble. TCM?

philthyphil

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. New to NAXJA and new to XJ's. Bought a 96 XJ 4.0 aw automatic 4 speed 4x4 with 90k miles. Was a one owner vehicle and is super clean. I got it from the junk yard for $900 so i thought it was a steal. It appears it got sent there cause it wont pass the California smog test. I tuned it up and it ran great. Passed the sniffer part with no problem it had ultra low numbers compared to the max allowed, but it wont pass the inspection because of fault code p1694. and it reappears right after being cleared. I did the crank pos. sensor which was also needed, and have since ohmed out the blk/white and purple/brwn wires between the ecm and tcm. Is there any other reason that this code is recurring. Is there any other trouble shooting i can do before replacing the tcm. Otherwise all gauges work and there are no other issues. When i got it the tcm was hanging down and the harness under the hood had been opened up so its not a new issue. The tcm i have with it is part number 56027951, I'm wondering if it is the original. maybe some replaced it and its not the correct number. Any help would be much appreciated. I cant wait to get this vehicle on some trails.

Small hijack--Sidewinder. do you have a parts identification catalog for covering the 1989 XJ? Been 'googling-around', and have not found a source for either hard copy, or pdf. Maybe I am not using the correct search terms, lol.
Thanks.

OK we might be on to something. I did clean the and lube the NSS, wouldnt having it out of adjustment just cause it not to start in neutral or park? I did replace the CPS because it would cut out after heating up. But then again I might have the wrong TCM. Thanks again. This problem sucks. I blame emission laws!

Here we go again. part number 56026769 isn't even close, completely different connector all together. Much larger and many more pins than the one i took out. Strange all info I'm finding in catalogs say that's it.

1996 is the transition year between the old and new body style and between OBD-I and OBD-II. Chrysler used up all the old parts before they started installing the new parts, so depending on when your 96 was built, it can be more like a 95 or more like a 97.

Don't be surprised to run into this problem on other systems and sensors.

Back