• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger brakes?

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone install larger rotors and calipers on their xj?

I will be moving to CO soon and would love to have larger brakes lol.

What do you guys have?

My xj: 98 se, 3 in Zone lift, aw4 auto, np231, 31 inch tires
in the process of part finding

Anyone install larger rotors and calipers on their xj? What do you guys have?

Most common choices for the front is the WJ conversion or Vancos.
ZJ discs (or an aftermarket kit) on the rear.

That should keep you busy searching the files.

A few options here, roughly from cheap to not:
1. Pad & rotor upgrade. Black Magic Brakes (google search for them) seems to be blowing everyone's mind with their sheer stoppyness.
2. ZJ swap. Rear disc brakes will help out, look cool & stay adjusted. You can also buy after market kits but htey are ~4x the price I paid for my junk.
3. WJ swap. Depending on how cheaply you can source the parts & do the fabrication, swapping WJ knuckles / brakes onto your Dana 30 will seriously help the braking performance & give you more steering options.
4. Vanco / Boostwerks.com both have front brake kits that are bolt-on, high performance & totally sweet. Be prepared to spend ~$750 or more if going this route, though.

WJ with out a doubt

Keep in mind that installing a Vanco brake kit is an afternoon job.
The WJ brake conversion requires moving (welding) the track-bar mount to the top of the axle, cutting, shortening and welding the track-bar, welding spacers to the knuckles, installing taller sway-bar mounts and adding all new steering links. All of this in addition to changing to WJ knuckles, backing plates, rotors and calipers.

My XJ's steering was already beefed up and, at 3-1/2"-4" of lift, changing the track bar to the top of the axle wasn't necessary so the Vancos were the easiest way to get better front brakes.
With the upgraded SportTrac calipers and Black Magic pads, it can lock up the front 33"s, something the stock brakes could never begin to do.

I went with EBC greenstuff with brembo drilled and slotted rotors for the front Dana 30. On the rear I did an 8.8 Exploder axle swap and run OEM rotors and pads.

Back