• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 carrier question

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up a D44 axle off an ’87 XJ with 3.55 gears. I am running 4.56 gears right now, so I will need to upgrade the D44 carrier before I regear it.

Can I just buy the 3.92 & up carrier and reuse the spider gears and pin from the old axle? Or do I need to get a new carrier AND spider gears, cross pin, etc.

Also, are all carriers made equal? I’m seeing lots on Ebay for ~$65, but I don’t want to buy a piece. Any brand suggestions?

on drivetrain stuff, you may want to stay away from ebay... i know ebay is a big place with lots of differant types of sellers.... but when it comes to drivetrain stuff, places like DTS drivetrain specialties, or randys ring and pinion are very well stocked.... they deal with drivetrain shops all day long, not paypal transactions.... places like randy's are very knowledgeable, and can help.

Cool, thanks. Randy's has the same prices as ebay anyway for the most part and I've ordered from them before and been impressed with their selection and service.

Keep the carrier you have and just get a set of "thick" gears.

Only like 10$ more typically, if at all.

Let me know if you need some...

Back