• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 or 3 core radiator/Water pump for 90 Cherokee IL6 4.0L, And where to buy??

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I have been having an overheating problem for months now. I just found out that the radiator in my jeep is a single core!! UGHHHH! I will be replacing it ASAP. I am wondering if I should install a 2 or 3 core? What parts house is a good choice to purchase one? Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Oreilly etc...I will also be purchasing a water pump.....

Advance Auto - buy the heatbusted if available. Otherwise some of the vendors on here have them available as well. Get a standard Cardone new water pump, you could upgrade if you want but there is no real need.

Check hoses, replace thermostat with a quality 195deg unit, replace and flush coolant. Is it still the open system or did you convert it to closed?

i believe the 90 has a closed system. if so, check the return "T" fitting going to the pressure bottle. my 89 closed loop had an over heating issue and i replaced everything, even installing a grand cherokee fan clutch. still had the heating issue. i then removed all the hoses to check for clogs. when i got to the little "T" fitting i noticed it wasn't allowing coolant to flow into the bottle. when i went to clean it it was totally clogged. i couldn't figure out why it wouldn't unclog when i tried pushing something through, well not until i noticed the tiny factory hole. it is no more than 1/8". once i unclogged that tiny hole, the system worked perfect. on a hot day in stop and go traffic i cant even get it to reach 210 degrees. problem now is that i may be running rich since the ecu is being told it is running too cool. so before you replace all those expensive parts, clean out the system first. unless of course you know those parts need replacing. by the way, i am running a used radiator from an 87 that looks to be factory.

I added an all metal HD one in my 89 and it worked and fit exactly the way it should. I bought it from radiatorbarn.com as well as about 10 others i know. Not one issue with any of them that I've heard of. If you can't find a forum sponsor that sells what you want then i would get it from there. I thought I had gotten a 2 core but evidently it was 3. For some reason I believed the 3 core needed some work to make it fit properly ?

It seems that Oriely, Advance auto and Auto Zone all sell a "single Row" radiator for the 1990 cherokee XJ 4.0L I6?? Did the 90 Cherokee come from the factory with a single core readiator?? Advanced auto has a metal two row for $189.00. Special order!?

Nope, just a leaky radiator. I checked the local shops and they wanted in excess of 220 for a 2 row, 260 for 3row. even kragen/autozone wanted something like 130 for a single row. Radiatorbarn does free shipping too, so it was well worth it. took me about an hour to install my self. worst part was sheering off a nut on the old radiator to reuse.

Just noticed you have a 1990, didnt see a 2 row on the site for your year ( I have a '92) 3 row will run 226. I will take a look at a couple of the other sites I had bookmarked and see if there is a cheaper one.

http://radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

Back