• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another question nobody knows about the NP228!

sheffeyva

NAXJA Forum User
Of course my vacuum diaphragm is shot on my NP228 and it no longer engages. If I were to just crawl underneath whenever I need and engage the 4wd lever, does it need positive engagement? Does it need something to hold it in place so it doesn't pop out of gear? It's super easy to engage that lever by hand. Easier than trying to fab a push pull handle to engage that lever. It's not my DD so it's not used all the time driving to places. I have found "some" posts from people that have zip tied in place and others who just crawl under and engage by hand but none have posted if it works over a period of time or if it works while wheeling.

I have removed everything involved with the vacuum system. My thought is to run it till it blows and then swap it to a NP242 or something similar. I just want to wheel it for now. I don't have the money to swap it yet due to being laid off like the rest of this country :firedevil!

Anyone else? I know a lot of people don't have this TC but someone has to. I'm assuming it's okay cause there is no gate on the handle for the TC High/Low range. Just wondering about the 2WD/4WD selector cause normally that has a vacuum source holding it in place.

I dont currently have one, at least not in a running truck, but I had one in my Grand Waggy, and never had an issue out of it till it blew up going 30 MPH on a straight and smooth road, at that point, I had read that the NP 208 would swap right in and found one in a junyard and had a shop install it. I have an 86 XJ waggy parts vehicle that has one in it, but I have never driven it, it also has the A904 auto. I know this isnt going to be any help, but I wish you luck!

The arm coming out of the vacuum plunger will not stay in place once it is pulled for 4wd. What I used in the past was a throttle cable from a push mower. I drilled a hole in the floor, routed the cable to the shifter lever on the plunger and hooked it up. It worked great but you need to figure out a way to get the cable and lever to stay in place.
Basically all you need is some kind of lever and cable system to pull it into 4wd and keep it there until you are done using 4wd. Hope that helps ya.

Kim

Back