• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 242 transfer case rebuild kit?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 with about 3.5" of lift. Installed a IRO-like H&T SYE. Recently had 4.10 gears installed. Both driveshafts have been completely rebuilt and rebalanced by the best shop in the area.

But, I still have vibes over 60 mph. Confirmed even when I swapped my M/Ts for a set of A/Ts for a while. The vibes go away if I remove my front driveshaft. I've double-checked my pinion angles, both are less than 2*. I've seen other comments that it's probably one of my output bearings in my 242. That doesn't surprise me since last winter there was some funky noises when I was running in 4-HI that I could never track down.

So, I think I'm going to do a complete t-case rebuild while I have it apart. I'm looking at the Novak rebuild kit, which for $220 seems really reasonable in price and even includes a new chain. Does anyone know of any better kits or deals for a full rebuild kit?? I know I could switch to a 231, but then I pay the same amount for one that is used and in unknown condition since people around here seem to think they're made of gold. I'd like to be done with the whole thing for under $300.

i got a timken rebuild kit. included just about everything minus some small things like shift pads, oil pump screen, and some o-rings. got the little stuff from morris 4x4 center. the chain i got from ebay, be sure to get a cloyes or borg-warner. i just shopped around online for the rebuild kit. in total i spent about $200.

When should the transfer case be rebuilt and chain replaced? I just picked one up with over 100,000 miles on it. It is not install yet so modifications are perfect right now.

i only rebuilt mine because the chain was stretched and rubbing the inside of the case. if your t-case isnt making any noises and is operating peoperly, i'd leave it.

Back