• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high idle after cleaning tb and ccv

krawler09

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 cherokee limited 4.0 auto and I am having a high idle problem now since I cleaned my throttle body and ccv and followed the vac line sticker to hook up my egr solenoid on the driver side fender. I have tried to unhook the solenoid again reset the computer but still high. It starts up at 900 rpm and goes to 1500 when it warms up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Also its popping through the tb now

Last edited:
Might be time to test/adjust your TPS. Have you ever refreshed all your grounds? PM me if you would like a simple, comprehensive instruction sheet on adjusting/testing your TPS.

Does it run fine otherwise?

Test for a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the TB and the sensors and watch for a change in rpm's. Be careful not to hit the TPS.

Really sounds like a vacuum leak.

Does it run fine otherwise?

Test for a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the TB and the sensors and watch for a change in rpm's. Be careful not to hit the TPS.

Really sounds like a vacuum leak.

Yes it seems to run fine only pops through the tb when I rev it up quickly. I did spray tb cleaner to clean it but it wasn't running. I'll try that with the carb cleaner. What happens if I hit the tps? short it out? Thanks

It run at around 700 800rpm before I done all this. Also when you remove the ccv pipe under the valve cover (triangle thing) there is a shim with a tab in the center that is slightly bent does the tab hang down or go up and close off the hole? I didn't realize it was bent when I took them off. Thanks for the help

Yeah I have but no luck. Also that's the way I put the shims luckily. I haven't gotten your e-mail about the tps yet. Will it have info to tell me if it's bad? Thanks

You should be able to do the diagnosis with it and should have it by now. This is a preliminarey version of the TPS instructions. Simple and to the point. I will expand it later collaborating with EcoMike.

Back