• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snapping axel shafts or u joints

Chris Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj running 35" tires and cant keep the front from breaking axel shafts or u joints. What is the strongest OEM replacement parts for the drivers side front dana 30. I like to get used parts from junk yards complete unit bearings and shafts its fast and easy.

find ones with abs. bigger joints.
order up some 760 joints (spicer replacement for the 290's) they are cheap and stronger

ease up on the skinny peddle

I watched Trucks one time and they pulled front shafts and axels from some year model grand cherokee, larger shafts and joints any idea of what year model these parts would be from?

Jeep with ABS
they are the 297 joints instead of the tiny 260 ones

the 760 joints are an even BETTER cheap autoparts store joint that fits right in the ABS shafts

Stock shafts + full circle clips + 760's are the best you're gunna get short of getting chromos. They've held up for me and others around here, some have even proven them to outlast the R&P.

I dont want after market shafts i will eat my ring and pinion and have more problems. All i need is what year model has the best oem shafts and joints.

Your '99 already has the bigger u-joint shafts. As foxwar71 said, the only upgrade is going to be the 297X u-joint, and cut for circle clips. And, of course, look forward to carrying a spare shaft. You can also get shafts out of any non-rubicon TJs you find.

Your '99 already has the bigger u-joint shafts. As foxwar71 said, the only upgrade is going to be the 297X u-joint, and cut for circle clips. And, of course, look forward to carrying a spare shaft. You can also get shafts out of any non-rubicon TJs you find.
x2

This will help you.. keep in mind ALL 95+ XJ's have 297x Shafts from the factory.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=984599

If yours is one of the newer XJs (>95) then just upgrade the 297X U joints to the 760s and have the axle shaft U joint openings machined for full circle clips as others have posted.
I have modified 2 sets of D30 axles as described above. Several years ago I won a set of Alloy USA axles that had full circle clips and 760 U joints so I sold my spare set of axles and kept my originals.

Back