• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timimg Chain Replacement

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking through my FSM but I couldn't find a service schedule recommendation for replacing the timing chain. I have about 110,000 on my 2001 XJ, 4.0 I6, AW4, A/C. Are there any special tools needed to change the chain?

dont even bother with it its got alot more life before you have to dig into it

i decided that 200k is a good time. not necessary by any means as most people never touch them. but i plan on keeping it a lot longer and i cant see why replacing it could hurt anything. at 110k i wouldnt even worry. i wouldnt ever worry actually. it just cant hurt to do when the miles get a little higher

"Silent" timing chains which were standard after all the NVH improvements established for the 1996 model year are notorious for stretching. Your cam timing is a few degrees retarded from even 10K miles of wear.

Earlier HO engines (and maybe Renix too, not sure) came with a single row roller timing chain. Hesco sells a replacement, and Cloyes has a double roller chain, though it's pricey.

When you see how much slop is in a 100K mile+ "silent chain" you'll be happy you replaced it.

You'll need a harmonic balancer puller to remove the belt pulley/balancer, and your one-piece oil pan gasket should be okay after removing/replacing the timing cover . Aside from the tight space in front of the radiator (might just pull it out for the task) it's quite straightforward. You may need a gear puller to get the old crank gear off, some will be more willing to budge. Replace the harmonic balancer seal on the timing cover when it's off the engine. Be sure to put the oil slinger back on the crank before re-installing the cover.

A worthwhile endeavor, and you'll probably notice the slight boost in low-end torque from bringing the cam back in-time.

Last edited:
You can find out how much slop/ stretch the chain has with a scan tool,(Snap-On) by comparing the cam pos sensor to the crank pos sensor,they should be within a couple degrees of one another. more than 6* may want to think about that chain.
My 300,000 mile motor has 4* difference .....

I replaced the one in our 89 MJ with only 162k on it, it was toast! On my 96 trail rig that has 190k on it I didn't bother because the thing looked brand new and was still tight.

I checked both of these when I replaced the front cover gasket and seal.

It has a lot to how well the engine has been maintained

Thanks for all the info I will probably wait a bit longer before I start looking at replacing it.
Will the 4.0 I6 engine bend valves if the chain goes?

Back