• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing and reinstalling old rk la's???

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna take them off the mj I'm selling and put them on my xj. Anybody done it? Just be careful with a cutoff and reweld on the xj? Or is that a bad idea?

Why not just make some new brackets,that way you dont do any damage to the MJ(they are rare enough these days)!

i just got new link mounts. mine were all mangled up anyway.

the ruffstuff brackets will work as well. in the off chance rk wont sell them separately

the old RK mounts are a sinch to build... if they are welded to the uni then leave em because even a careful cutting of the old mounts will still scar the uni body of the MJ. They are a piece of 1/4 inch plate with two holes that tie into the X member. The tabs for the arms are a couple inches forward of the X member so since you have them in hand you could easily make copies. even if you go with another company you can get the eye holes for the upper joints in the right spot - take pics and measurments before you sell of course. My old RK upper third link which goes on the inside of the rail was a pain b/c of the fuel lines. The new mounts i think are all one piece instead of drilling holes and sleeves for the upper mount. RK is a very cool company and helped me out a good bit a couple years ago. I am sure if you call them and say you are transferring parts over they would be happy to sell you the mounts.

new one piece (4 link in pic):

jz7k2u.jpg

149t4ix.jpg

old way:

w2knkw.jpg

Sweet! I am gonna have to talk to the guy buying the manche. He's talkin radius arms so ill see what he wants to do.

Thanks for the info and pics aparke, that helped ALOT!

I bought my Rk kit used (gen II) and the guy used a plasma to cut them off of his xj. He did his best to make a clean cut but he did still burn into his frame a bit, I think he finished it up with an angle grinder/sawzall.

I still had to clean up the brackets of old weld and pieces of his frame stiffys. Check with prices on RK old brackets, when I called to ask I only got the price of the conversion kit they sell to use their new style brackets which are all bolt on, it comes w/the brackets and the new style heim they use I belive.

well i called RK/pure performance. Chris there said the new mounts wont work with the old arms, so looks like i am building new ones, or cutting off if new owner doesnt want them.

Does anybody have the instructions for the install? Rk didn't have them. Need to know the locations of the holes for the upper mount. I can measure just wanna make sure im right.

A friend and i just recently did this on his jeep, he cleaned off all of the old welds with a grinder, straightened the bracket out in the vice, bolted it up, and then we welded it.

Back