• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower quit blowing

krackerjack87

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ

Recently the blower motor doesn't work at any setting. I can hear the a/c compressor kick on though. I was messing around with the relay behind the glovebox and put a jumper wire from 87 to 30 and got the blower to come on and function properly. Does that mean I have a bad relay? Or is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown?

Most likely the blower motor itself is bad. Jump power and ground directly to the motor to test it out.

Well.. he said it works when the relay is jumpered. So apparently the motor works.

The other two leads on the relay, 85 and 86, fire the coil that basically jumpers 87 to 30. One will be power, one will be ground. The ground is always present while the power comes from the blower switch and its fuse.

1998 XJ

Recently the blower motor doesn't work at any setting. I can hear the a/c compressor kick on though. I was messing around with the relay behind the glovebox and put a jumper wire from 87 to 30 and got the blower to come on and function properly. Does that mean I have a bad relay? Or is there a fuse somewhere that could have blown?

Getting the blower to operate by jumping the relay connector terminal 30 to terminal 87 proves the fuse in the PDC is okay.

There should be battery voltage at connector terminal cavity 86 with the ignition switch in the ON position. Cavity 85 is connected to ground.

The circuit feeding terminal cavity 86 is a fused circuit. The fuse is in the Junction Block, located in the passenger footwell. Check your owners manual for fuse location. If everything checks okay, suspect a bad relay.

Back