• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator usable?

bigblueishness

NAXJA Forum User
I have a radiator that has been sitting in a none moving or starting xj for about a year and a half, then removed from the jeep, placed on the ground for about 6 months........ is this radiator still able to be used or is it rusted out?

Not likely rusted out, but you should check for heavy corrosion on the fins of any older radiator, and more so if it's been sitting in the weeds. Even if all the tubes are fine and flow is good, you'll get overheating if the fins have started to disintegrate. Since a radiator is a pretty easy job to replace, I'd give it a try if it looks healthy. Put it all together, and go crawling on some back trail or heavy traffic for a half hour. You'll know immediately whether it's good or not. Worst case is you'll have to replace it again.

If it is already out and you are in doubt, take it to a radiator shop and have them boil and inspect it.

thanks guys, I now have one last hose to take off and it is the lower transmission hose, and it is not coming off and it looks like it is not made to come off, do I replace the whole hose?

It's a "quick" disconnect. On mine I can just pinch the plastic ears together and pull the line off.

Later models require a little plastic tool available at most auto parts stores

Back