• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 Running Like Crap! PLEASE HELP!!

cam21vw

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 2.5 5 speed 4x4
Okay so this has been ongoing for a few months. My jeep started out just hesitating once in a while. It gradually progressed to the point where it wouldn't start once it was warm. It would bog/backfire thru the intake at anything over 3/4 pedal. Now it won't even idle right and just runs like total crap. Can't give it any gas without it bogging out and backfiring.

A couple months ago I took it to the dealership and had the codes read, they said it was getting low power to, or across the PCM. The tech unplugged the coolant temp sensor, saying that would make it run better but it made no difference. So I ordered a replacement and there's no difference whatsoever. Does this sound like a fuel issue? I have replaced 2 cheapo pumps since I got the jeep. And I did take it wheeling without a fuel cap once. Could a clogged vent line or anything cause these symptoms?

Please any suggestions are welcome. If I can't get this fixed I'll have to sell it for peanuts and I've got tons of money into tires and suspension.
Thanks in advance!
CM

Oh, and it had a fresh tuneup about a year ago so that should rule out ignition unless it's a distributor/coil issue. But I really suspect fuel. Just don't know where to look.

I guess I should also add that both o2 sensors are new and that it threw a code for running lean. But when it would sit and idle you could smell it across the parking lot. It smelled like it was rich. And eventually if you let it idle long enough it would stall out.
EDIT: In my first post, I should have clarified, I replaced the PCM and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Have you power washed the engine. The TPS is notorious for having problems if it gets wet.

Pretty much a backfire out the throttle body says timing or burnt valve. Have you done a compression test?

I haven't tested compression simply due to the fact that it started out only backfiring when giving it too much throttle, back off a bit and it would be fine.

Back