• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ with no working gauges?

93xjcowboy

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at buying another 99 that the gauges do not work. I was told it keeps blowing the fuse when they try to replace it. Is there anywhere that is particularly prone to getting a short? If I get it I am going to check all the grounds I can find but until then any ideas?

Which fuse is it blowing? The IOC in the engine compartment?

Have you run the gauge test to make sure they work? Just hold the mileage reset button for 5 secs while turning the key to ACC.

My '98 gauges went out on me, and I was able to just push the panel back into the contacts to get it working again, but no fuses were blowing.

Good luck!

Greg

The blown fuse sits between the battery and a short-circuit somewhere. If it were me, I'd start at the fuse and trace all the circuits downstream (away from the battery in terms of current flow) and use an ohm meter to look for the short.

Also, it's possible that fuse protects some other circuit(s) in addition to the gauge panel. Do you have a Chiltons or FSM?

I do not have one yet, The one I did have never got returned to me.

All of the lights and idiot lights work in the entire dash but the actual gauges and the radio do not work. (just found out about the radio)

edit: Btw the gauge test did not work and there are no blown fuses under the hood. I am going to start checking the fuses in the kick panel soon.

I was wrong about the fuses under the hood. There is a 15a fuse that blows as soon its put in place (key off) I think its labeled "ioa"? I got a Haynes manual (no Chiltons in stock) and there is nothing that I saw in the wire diagrams related to the gauges (non illumination). There isn't even a fuse block diagram.

Anyone have a fuse block diagram?

Back