• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just installed head/revs to max as soon as it starts

Dfete1

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I put a head on my 94 Country. As soon as it starts it revs like full throttle. I have a 91 and already swapped the throttle body with sensors, checked vacuum diagrams n no matter what I do it does the same thing. If the manifold gasket was leaking, would it do that? Help please.

yes, a massive intake manifold leak will do that. the throttle body controls how much air is allowed into the motor, that's what controls the engine's rpms. with a big leak in the intake manifold the engine just keeps sucking in air and revving higher and higher.

check to make sure the manifold seated on the dowel pins that stick out of the head, sometimes if it's not sitting all the way down on the dowels you can be fooled into thinking it's been torqued down properly but there is still a big gap between the manifold and the head.

grimm showed me a trick, take a putty knife and try to insert it between the head and the exhaust/intake manifolds. you obviously shouldnt be able to insert it!

make sure your dowel pins are in the right place... its easy to get sitting on top of them, then as you torque the manifolds down, it pushes the dowel pin in.... leaving just a little bit of a gap for me...

Good call! Thats the only thing i could figure to. I forgot about the intake dowels.Went back did it again and it dropped right onto the dowels. Started up and purrrs like a kitten. Thank you for mentioning the dowels or i would have been mad forever.:guitar:

no prob, it happens every once in awhile. i've actually seen one break while tightening the bolts while it was still sitting on top of the pins once too, so you got off lucky ;)

That's crazy. this is the 4th head I've done on a i6 and never had a prob. Must have been lucky. I'm happy my $150 jeep with its $100 head. Thats a good deal:peace:

Back