• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission questions

I have a 93 cherokee with the HO I-6 and I just changed the trans fluid and filter and I have some questions,:

I put 8 qts of fluid, in it, is this too much? I figured that was right because The manual says 8.5qts. but later today when I checked the fluid with the engine running, (and hot) and after going thrught all the gears, the dipstick was WAAAY above full, like a good 3-4 inches. this alarmed me, and i though I would ask how much ATF you guys put in your trans. and does it take a whlie to go all the way down?

I know that this is probably not huge, but it does worry me.
ok well thanks much
nate

I am presuming you are talking about an automatic? (AW4) If you only removed the pan and drained it, it only holds 4 quarts. The converter however holds the other 4.5 quarts. If you didn't drain the converter, then it is DEFINETELY too full!

Yepp -- too full. 8.5 quarts is total capacity. I just did an '88 -- don't think it has changed much. FSM said when removing the pan to service the filter to add 4 quarts, drive it until warm, then check and adjust level.

Back