• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical gremlins

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
So... a month ago my TCU went bad from overtowing, thought it was fuses, turned out to be that the TCU went bad, replaced with a JY one and so far so good (crosses fingers) having an auto and shifting it manually sucked.

So throughout this whole crazy ordeal a couple of things have happened...

Aux fan and A/C didn't work before the TCU went out. When checking fuses/relays under the dash and in the engine bay, swapping in new fuses/changing relays, my A/C now works and so does my Aux fan.

Instrument panel lights weren't working... driving at night sucked since I couldn't see my speed. Those lights are now working w/fuse change.

Now my radio/dome lights and power locks aren't working. I checked all the fuses under dash related to radio and all are good. The P. Lock fuse seems to be ok as well. Are there fuses under the hood related to these two things?

I also noticed that the fuse block under dash has some greenish corrosion. Is it safe to use an electrical cleaner spray to clean up those connections? Car off, battery cables off...?

Ooh. Dude. Yeah, get some electrical cleaner on there. I'd personally disconnect the battery and wait for about ten minutes, just so the capacaitor can shed it's stored juice. Get the cleaner and spray.

I know some of the reallynice cleaners at part stores have some pretty high powered jets, you may wanna be careful. If the wires are corroded really bad, a high powered jet could knock whatever fragile connection is in there loose.

I'd personally start keeping my eyes open for a replacement fuse panel. If you can find a junkyard that will let you take a fuse panel AND the connections that go into it with six or more inches of wire attached, for a price you can manage, grab it.

Now, I may just be being paranoid about this,because I just replaced the fuse panel on my 2000 after finding the same corrosion on it after looking for the solution to a BUNCH of weird electrical problems.

Mine was totally rotted out. Had to replace a bunch of the connectors and the panel itself.

What i'm trying to say is, if it's really bad, you may not wanna touch it too much. Moving wires around can break them. If the wrong wire breaks, your jeep may not run until you can replace it.

If it's NOT too bad, then do what you can to clean it up with some delicate hands and careful brushing. Either way, I would probably still spray it down with some cleaner made for electronics. Just try not to make the spray push more gunk INTO the connections if you can.

Ooh. Dude. Yeah, get some electrical cleaner on there. I'd personally disconnect the battery and wait for about ten minutes, just so the capacaitor can shed it's stored juice. Get the cleaner and spray.

I know some of the reallynice cleaners at part stores have some pretty high powered jets, you may wanna be careful. If the wires are corroded really bad, a high powered jet could knock whatever fragile connection is in there loose.

I'd personally start keeping my eyes open for a replacement fuse panel. If you can find a junkyard that will let you take a fuse panel AND the connections that go into it with six or more inches of wire attached, for a price you can manage, grab it.

Now, I may just be being paranoid about this,because I just replaced the fuse panel on my 2000 after finding the same corrosion on it after looking for the solution to a BUNCH of weird electrical problems.

Mine was totally rotted out. Had to replace a bunch of the connectors and the panel itself.

What i'm trying to say is, if it's really bad, you may not wanna touch it too much. Moving wires around can break them. If the wrong wire breaks, your jeep may not run until you can replace it.

If it's NOT too bad, then do what you can to clean it up with some delicate hands and careful brushing. Either way, I would probably still spray it down with some cleaner made for electronics. Just try not to make the spray push more gunk INTO the connections if you can.

Back