• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backward main cap during rebuild - new bearing?

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that I had torqued down the number 1 main cap on backward. I didn't try to start the engine, but it was turned around 10-15 times by hand. Should I replace the bearing? If so, do I need to replace the upper bearing as well? They are standard size bearings.

I'd like to not have to buy an entire set for one bearing. If I must replace the bearing I'd like to not have to take the entire crank out again to do the upper. Is this too much to ask?

Edit: Online OEM part distributors will sell one upper and lower bearing for $10.99 shipped, unless they email after I've ordered and say no we won't do that.

So now that I can come to better terms with replacing the one bearing, should I replace the upper shell also? It was never on reverse...

Last edited:
You should not have to replace the bearing. As long as it is the right size, it should be fine. I have seen lots of people put caps on backwards and not find out about it until a rebuild 200k later.

Greets.., you did use white, lithium type engine bearing grease, right? If so, and you only turned by hand.., do like old_man sez.

If you are freaked, check the bearing for scoring. If no scoring, (which would be like a freak of not keeping things clean), no problemo. Bearings are really tough, i.e., my 258 cu. in., did not even need new bearings at around 200k + as per plastic gauge measurements, and general appearance. Replaced them anyway since I was there, and had them. Take a deep breath, steady as she goes...

Back