• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper control arm bolt removal

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, maybe I'm a little slow or it is the 115 degree heat index outside, but I cannot get the frame side bolts out of either of the upper control arms. I got the nut off of the drivers side, but I can't get the bolt to come out. I hammered it until it was flush with the control arm mount and I can't get it any further. The passenger side is another story. The nut is rounded off the bolt and I can't even loosen it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I spent three hours today working on the jeep and all I got accomplished was putting new shocks on and dropping a socket into the unibody...

Preston

Sounds like the axle is bound up.... Is the Jeep off the ground?

I would raise the jeep until the tires just leave the ground then lower it back down an inch or two.

If you can, get a large "C" clamp or a pry bar and a friend and have them try to rotate the axle back and forth while you try and get the bolt out.

I would only do one side at a time. And BE CAREFUL!!! It sounds like something is spring-bound. When the bolt does come out it could do so with catastrophic consequences. You might get hurt.

The front is off the ground with the front tires off. I'm doing new front shocks, control ARM drop brackets and an sye at the same time. Should I lower the axle and try and pull it?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

If you're replacing the upper control arms and/or the bushings, you might be able to use a sawzall and cut through the bolt at the bushing so that the arm will drop out with part of the bolt still in the bushing. Otherwise cut through the stuck nut and use a screwdriver or rod to pound the bolt on through.

You need to release all of the tension on the springs then see how it is. For the rounded nut hopefully you can drown it with penetrating oil and use big vise grips to remove it.

do you actually mean the nut, or the hex head of the bolt? if its the nut nut, vice grips will get it.

if you meant the hex head of the bolt, use those irwin bolt extractors.

I'm trying to get the bolt with the flag out and I'm keeping the upper arms for right now. I can't get any kind of pliers into that little cut out in the unibody. When I go out there again ill try releasing some tension. On the passenger side though I was going to use a sawzall to cut some meat off the bolt to get a short socket onto it. It is so rounded off though...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Spray the bolt threads with PB Blaster penetrant and let it soak in... If the penetrant does work... apply a little heat to the threads and then try to loosen the bolt.
If you are trying loosen the nut with the flag inside the uniframe; it is not made to spin until the bolt is very loose.

Back