• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Short add a leaf install question

offroadordnance

NAXJA Forum User
I've read other places where members broke the nut weld on the front of the spring causing them all sorts of grief. I've got Rusty's short add a leaf to give me the extra inch plus that the shackle lift i installed came up short. Can I remove the rear bolt from the shackle and leave the front of the spring attached while inserting the leaf into the pack? The short spring only requires center pin replacement. The spring clamps don't have to be remove like the long add a leaf kit.

I've read other places where members broke the nut weld on the front of the spring causing them all sorts of grief. I've got Rusty's short add a leaf to give me the extra inch plus that the shackle lift i installed came up short. Can I remove the rear bolt from the shackle and leave the front of the spring attached while inserting the leaf into the pack? The short spring only requires center pin replacement. The spring clamps don't have to be remove like the long add a leaf kit.

You shouldn't have to unbolt the leafspring at all. Why are you running a short AAL? Those are hell on leaf packs!

Thanks for confirming the process. Both manufacturers I spoke to offered both styles said shorts are a harsher ride than the longer style. No mention i recall of potential damage. At the time I was strapped for cash and burned out spending too much time wrenching than wheeling. When Ox makes a locker for my 8.25", probably I'll review a new spring unless they don't and I swap in a 44 with selectable locker

Just so I have all the correct tools on hand,,,,, or available for loan, do the old center pins generally come off with a socket and vise grip or is cutting them off most often necessary?

depends on whether they are rusted very badly. We dont get bad rusting here in NM so they usually come off easily but i have had to cut pins before. Really just depends on your situation. if they look rusty, plan to cut them but try removing. better to have tools you dont need than to need tools you dont have.

Just so I have all the correct tools on hand,,,,, or available for loan, do the old center pins generally come off with a socket and vise grip or is cutting them off most often necessary?

When I did the AAL's on my old jeep we ended up cutting them off since mine came with them.

Back