• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low pitch wine on new ford 8.8

TheMule1

NAXJA Forum User
so i just finished everything on the install on my ford 8.8, aussie locker, 4.88 yukons, after driving it around the block it started to create a low pitch wine over 10mph-30mph (i didn't go over 30mph), put i could only hear this wine while i was pressing on the gas, if i let the peddle go the noise went away.. NOW i did notice when i installed the ford 8.8 yoke on the drive-shaft, that 1 of the stick bearings from the u-joint came out.. at the time i didn't think anything of it, but now i'm thinking that's the problem. I'm gonna be changing out the u-joint tomorrow but just in case that's not the problem what would you think it is?? maybe a bad outer bearing?? i didn't change them when i installed the axle because they seemed fine.

Bad gear install?

i'm leaving that as a last resort but you wouldn't think that the wine would be non stop, on and off the gas if it were the gears??

would a stuck caliper cause this also? i just noticed the pattern on the disks are different from one another, i'm gonna try and bleed the brakes again tomorrow but that seemed odd to me.

Last edited:
It could be coming from the brakes. A bad bearing in the diff usually changes sound as torque is applied but not always. Insufficient carrier bearing preload or excessive preload could possibly cause this kind of noise. I suggest having someone help you and put the rear on jackstands with the front wheels chocked and spin up the rear axle while listening from beside the vehicle to see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

It could be coming from the brakes. A bad bearing in the diff usually changes sound as torque is applied but not always. Insufficient carrier bearing preload or excessive preload could possibly cause this kind of noise. I suggest having someone help you and put the rear on jackstands with the front wheels chocked and spin up the rear axle while listening from beside the vehicle to see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

i did just that, and the noise is coming from inside the diff... man im really bummed out about it. i just changed gear oil since i noticed i was using the wrong kind, i replaced it with lucas 85-140, but u can still hear the noise. when i took off the cover i did notice that the teath from the pinion were already marked on the ring gear.. im thinking to much preload..? the pattern was dead on center though so i guess thats a good thing.. i dont even have 1 mile on the axle but im already getting burned out from all this.. been working on it for almost a year and havent been able to drive it.

did you break the gears in properly?? maybe try to give them some time to seat the teeth to each other and it may stop. just keep checking the oil for fine metal and if it develops metal stop driving on it.

my buddies mustang did the same after installing his yukon gears hopefully they just need to be broken in. his perform like they should and we pulled the cover and they are not wearing funny.

Sounds like pretty standard gear noise. I would double check the install like others have said but the F8.8 is a noisy rear end. Moist of the OEM Ford gears have some sort of gear noise. High ratio aftermarkets like the 4.88 are usually worse.

your pattern looks ok and from what you say the preloads are good, so its unlikely you will break anything. the 2 surfaces riding against each other will create a little noise and will likely go away after they "seat". kinda like breaking in a cam to the lifters

so you guys think that noise is normal? its kinda loud..it sounds like if im running nitto mud grapplers down the road.. come to think about it.. the sound is almost, if not, exactly the same.

i also noticed it doesnt have a shield behind the pinion?? any intake?

Last edited:
Mine had a wine for a while, i thought it was a bad gearset.

My flange adapter was loose for the longest time, one of those duhhh moments.

Good luck

that would be more of a roar lol. hate those tires... anyways if its just a whine like what im thinking it "should" go away once the gears wear in. look up how to break in a new set of gears and do that procedure and see if it helps

Im not sure man, i personally have never heard a whine like that before, that was more like a low pitch grumble/grind.

Just listened to the videos. You need to dig back into that thing. It sounds like the backlash is way too tight or the bearing preload is too tight. Don't drive it any more til you figure it out. Something is way wrong.

im gonna check everything tomorrow with a torque wrench.. see if everything is up to spec. since i did notice the shop that was doing the install was using an impact wrench...

i found this on another site:
"It should take 16-29inlbs (on new bearings) to make the pinion move or in other words to correctly preload the pinion bearings. If it goes above that then you have to start over with a new crush sleeve."

so basicaly i should put the rear up on jack stands, take wheels/tires off and use a torque wrench from 16-29inlbs to rotate the pinion, is this correct??

Last edited:
im gonna check everything tomorrow with a torque wrench.. see if everything is up to spec. since i did notice the shop that was doing the install was using an impact wrench...

"It should take 16-29inlbs (on new bearings) to make the pinion move or in other words to correctly preload the pinion bearings. If it goes above that then you have to start over with a new crush sleeve."

so basicaly i should put the rear up on jack stands, take wheels/tires off and use a torque wrench from 16-29inlbs to rotate the pinion, is this correct??

The pinion bearing pre-load has to be measured with the carrier out and you would need a beam or dial style torque wrench.Just take it back to whoever did the work.

shop did it? did they give you a warranty?

Back