• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel sending unit leaking?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Filled the tank and new I had a slight gas leak. I found immediately after filling the leak was right where the wires and tube went through the sending unit. It is not the o-ring for the sending unit to tank. Is there a fix for this? Stealership wants $742.16 for the whole assembly only. Can I use any year sending unit as long as I use the 96 pump? I need a much cheaper price like $100-$150.

Physical fit should be the same for any 4.0 with the same size tank, but I don't know if the post-91 sender is wired differently from earlier ones. The other gauges are reversed in polarity from the Renix era ones, and that one may be too, I just don't know. To be safe I think I'd look for something between 93 and 96. The pumps themselves will interchange. My stepson's 93 had an 89 pump for years with no problems.

Pull it and take it to a welder and have him braze up the junction. If it is where the wires go through, use some RTV type sealer and let it cure completely before assembly.

Back