• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help me :D

Noodle5

NAXJA Forum User
hey so i just installed a 4.5" rough country lift kit with all adjustable control arms and trace bar and quick discos and i finished it and there are 2 things wrong
1. both tires are camber out which isn't a problem i just need an alignment.

2. this might be because of the other problem but i hear a noise like a vibration when i drive it but what would the sound be like if it were because i need a anti slip yoke thing.

im gonna do an alignment later but please help me out :) I've never lifted a truck before and I'm kinda nervous thanks guys :)

ps- my kit came with a transfer case drop and i didn't put it in yet cause i don't know how could that be it and if so how do i put it in it looks like 4 spacers but idk where they go

You have to jack up the transmission and remove the crossmember. You will eat of U joints quickly with out it. Only an SYE will completely get rid of vibrations, unfortunately.

You can get a hack & tap sye with a driveshaft from Iron Rock Offroad for around $240 I think. It will get rid of those vibrations without making your driveshaft vulnerable.

What year is your Jeep?

If it is camber, it is a problem... Camber is not adjustable unless someone has installed special aftermarket ball joints. Or maybe you have a bent axle. Are you talking about toe?

2. this might be because of the other problem but i hear a noise like a vibration when i drive it but what would the sound be like if it were because i need a anti slip yoke thing.

It's not an "anti slip yoke thing", it's a "slip yoke eliminator" (SYE) and depending on the year you most probably need one.

ps- my kit came with a transfer case drop and i didn't put it in yet cause i don't know how could that be it and if so how do i put it in it looks like 4 spacers but idk where they go

If your kit came with a T-case drop then yes you need it. But it's just a cheap Band-aid for not having an SYE. They don't work very well and can cause other problems. But if that's all you have, put a jack under the crossmember where the transmission bolts up to it and jack it up just
enough to put upward pressure on it. Remove the 4 bolts holding the crossmember to the framerails. Lower the crossmember just enough to insert the spacers then install the new longer bolts that came with the kit.

Last edited:
hey so i just installed a 4.5" rough country lift kit with all adjustable control arms and trace bar and quick discos and i finished it and there are 2 things wrong

im gonna do an alignment later but please help me out :) I've never lifted a truck before and I'm kinda nervous thanks guys :)

In the future; please post vehicle information if you know it.... Year and model, engine, transmission and transfercase and other information that would help us assist you with your problem.

If the problem with the alignment are the tires toed inward or outward and the steering wheel is off center; this can usually be addressed by the alignment shop. If you have the tools you can adjust the toe by jacking up the front of the vehicle spin each front tire and mark a line on the tire tread. Lower the vehicle and measure the front of the tire and back of the tire; the distance should be almost identical within a 1/16". If not loosen the tie rod adjuster and turn in the direction that gets the measurements equal and tighten adjuster. To center the steering wheel there is a similar adjuster on the drag link going from tie rod to pitman arm; loosen and slowly adjust in the direction that centers the steering wheel (you may need assistance with this).

To install the crossmember (transfercase) drop once you have the crossmember supported with a jack and/or jackstands. The factory installation has one bolt and one stud on both sides; to install the longer bolts you will need to doublenut (tighten two nuts on the same stud without touching the uni frame) the studs to twist them out. Then just proceed by installing the spacers and the longer bolts. Wouldn't hurt to apply some anti seize to the threads so they are easy to remove in the future.

Last edited:
btw I'm pretty new to all this I'm almost 18 and this is the first major thing i have done to my jeep i bought it with a 2" budget lift in already ill let you now what happens when i finish doing the alignment

ty very very very much for that i might get it :D

if you do make sure it includes the TAP and DRILL BIT, then just get an XJ 4.0 automatic front drive shaft from the junk yard... pull it yourself and it will only cost around $25-$40... while you are at it keep your eyes open for new (er) u joints at the bone yard and install them on into the drive shaft while you are there at the pull it yourself junk yard...

if you do make sure it includes the TAP and DRILL BIT, then just get an XJ 4.0 automatic front drive shaft from the junk yard... pull it yourself and it will only cost around $25-$40... while you are at it keep your eyes open for new (er) u joints at the bone yard and install them on into the drive shaft while you are there at the pull it yourself junk yard...
personally... id rather get a quality bit and tap for the job at hand. why try to save a few dollars on a job like this? not knocking dirt bound, but think about the tools you get when assembling a grill or something. they are cheap. i would assume their drill and tap they offer is a harbor freight special and use my own.

good news i fixed almost everything I'm getting it all checked out by a big truck shop by me but it runs great I'm gonna save up and get a slip yoke eliminator within a few weeks but other then that my xj runs great thanks for all the help :D

Back