• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REPAINTING THE BUMPERS

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
i have some jcr bumpers that are looking rough only cause of the cheap pepboys rattle can paint i put on them. the worst issue is i use the jeep to surf fish and the salt is eating at it. any suggestion on a satin black finish that would coat and hold up well?

Scuff the balls out of them, buy some raptor liner, and a cheap harbor freight "pro" spray gun. Goes on smooth, yet textured (kinda like sandpaper) and is pretty dang tough.

It will look like this when done... this guy had it tinted green.

IMG_1263.jpg

VHT has a decent spraybomb, bottom line is if you dont use a primer and paint plus put on thick enough coats it's going to turn into crap.

^ agreed. Sounds weird, but when possible after I pant parts for a project I like to put them on the roof of my garage. That way they're in a very hot environment most of the time, but get heat cycled and can fully cure. I usually leave them there for a week and the finish is decently tough. Spray bomb sucks. un-cured spray bomb sucks even more.

It will look like this when done... this guy had it tinted green.

IMG_1263.jpg

no shit that looks good.

my mistake last time was painting them late fall. i had a heater next to them with plastic over that as a make shift oven but it was not enough. now they look like crap.

That's the kit. Buy the kit, scrap the gun, and get a cheapo harbor freight purple spray gun. If you use the one in the kit it will look like line-x or rhino liner.

Your requested close-ups.

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

or you could just buy the Raptor kit that does not include the gun and go with the harbor freight gun.

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Truck-...VF5E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312393412&sr=8-2

after both spraying and rolling the Raptor on... in my experience the rolling produced a much finer texture. and if you used a really fine roller then youd get an even finer texture probably. i used a 4" mini foam roller and it worked great.

The only downfall to rolling it on, is you'll generate a LOT of waste. If you're just doing bumper this shouldn't be a big issue but on a larger project you'd notice a lot unused.

That's the kit. Buy the kit, scrap the gun, and get a cheapo harbor freight purple spray gun. If you use the one in the kit it will look like line-x or rhino liner.

Your requested close-ups.

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

oh that looks great thanks for the shots and info! ill post some pics when its done

The only downfall to rolling it on, is you'll generate a LOT of waste. If you're just doing bumper this shouldn't be a big issue but on a larger project you'd notice a lot unused.

maybe so, but youll end up using much less rolling it on then you will spraying it on.

you would probably have to roll on 2-3 coats for every 1 being sprayed to get the equivalent thickness.

Lol yea I don't really see where you're going. Maybe try and explain a little differently, but you basically just agreed with me, and then said spraying is about 300% more efficient than rolling??

Back