• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Proportioning valve question...

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I am gathering parts together to do a ZJ rear disk brake conversion on an 87 XJ D44 that I will be swapping in soon. I have the backing plates, calipers, etc. but I am unsure of which proportioning valve to use. The ZJ I pulled the parts from had ABS brakes and I didn't want to pull the wrong one if ABS made a difference. Can anyone tell me if ABS proportioning valves make a difference or not?

i have don't have abs and its barely different. only time i have noticed it was during a panic stop in the snow. the backs locked up first. i asked that question before and i think most responses said forget about it. i have an adjustable pv in my garage i was going to add it when i upgrade the front to wj parts and some line locks all around

my biggest issue was getting the e brake right

I used just the small plunger and cap out of the prop valve can't remember if it was abs or not-but it worked much better than the stock 88 xj one..plus I have used the WJ booster and master on mine-stops real good with 35's.I have driven a stock 88 set up and it is much better than the factory size/lift/tires.

I'm using the 1/2" shorter ZJ prop spring. My rears lock up first, which is good, but I'd like to play with an adjustable valve so I can swing it to the fronts locking up first then back it off until the rears lock a fraction before.

I used just the small plunger and cap out of the prop valve can't remember if it was abs or not-but it worked much better than the stock 88 xj one.
Thats not what I am asking. I have that already.

My rears lock up first, which is good, but I'd like to play with an adjustable valve so I can swing it to the fronts locking up first then back it off until the rears lock a fraction before.
You don't want the back to lock up first. You want the front to for safety reasons.

Thats not what I am asking. I have that already.
Oops.. just realized I put that in the wrong thread. I'm following two prop valve threads right now. Disregard.

I think for racing it's different.
Possibly, but for general purpose and intent in this thread its front first.

I have an '87 XJ D44 with '94 ZJ non-ABS rear disk brakes in my '98 non-ABS XJ (on 35" tires). I'm using the stock '98 XJ proportioning valve and can stand on the brakes and have very good stopping power without rear brake lockup. Other folks have commented on not needing to change the prop valve and I agree with them, at least with regard to my '98.

Suggest you try the stock prop valve first and only change to a ZJ prop valve (or guts) if you don't find the braking to be satisfactory.

My biggest issues were getting a really good brake bleed and the right parking brake cable setup.

I have an '87 XJ D44 with '94 ZJ non-ABS rear disk brakes in my '98 non-ABS XJ (on 35" tires). I'm using the stock '98 XJ proportioning valve and can stand on the brakes and have very good stopping power without rear brake lockup. Other folks have commented on not needing to change the prop valve and I agree with them, at least with regard to my '98.

Suggest you try the stock prop valve first and only change to a ZJ prop valve (or guts) if you don't find the braking to be satisfactory.

My biggest issues were getting a really good brake bleed and the right parking brake cable setup.

I will do that then. No sense in getting something I don't need.

What did you do for the e-brake cables? Thats the other thing I am trying to figure out.

Back