• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country's Shackle Relocation Brackets Write Up and Review

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just installed a set of Rough Country's Shackle Relocation Brackets and wanted to do a quick write-up and review on them. They were going on my girlfriend Kaitlin's 1999 Cherokee Sport. It had a 4.5" lift in the front and 3.5" in the back and was on 33"s with flares. The shackle angle was terrible and the rear needed more height.

1ClearanceBeforeMedium.jpg

When I was in the market for the brackets I first looked at HD Engineering's product. I love their design, but at that point (pre V2), it wasn't a bolt-on. Since I don't have a welder and I don't enjoy paying other people do work on my rig, I thought I would give Rough Country's product a try. I have had great luck with Rough Country products in the past, and their customer service is top notch. Since their design is purely bolt-on and doesn't require any massaging of the shackle box, I thought it was something even I could install.

Here is what I received from Rough Country

DSCN0228Medium.jpg

Now in this write-up, I do stray from Rough Country's instructions a bit. I did one side at a time while their instructions say to let the whole rear of the axle drop. I think the install can be accomplished successfully either way.

I started by jacking the axle up and removing the passenger side tire. At this point I also put a jackstand under the frame rail in front of the leaf spring.

DSCN0230Medium.jpg

If your shackle bolts have never been tampered with, be prepared for one of three things (or all) to happen.

-1st:the bolt will be extremely tight and could possibly break the welded nut in the frame
-2nd:the bolt will be seized to the sleeve which runs through the bushing
-3rd and most likely, the bolt's threads will be somewhat rounded as it comes out and will be a pain to put back in.

To get the shackle bolt out, I used a breaker bar with a jack handle slipped over the end of it.

DSCN0227Medium.jpg

Luckily, this Jeep came from Southern Missouri where they don't use the road salt Iowa does; the shackle bolt came out without too much fighting.

Once the shackle bolt is removed, the shackle will likely be pushing against the box, the axle needs to be lowered to get the shackle/spring out of the way.

DSCN0229Medium.jpg

I had to use a stock XJ bottle jack to push the spring down enough to slip the relocation box in the shackle housing. This can be accomplished many ways, most are probably safer than this :D

DSCN0238Medium.jpg

Another point at which I strayed from Rough Country's directions...I left the shackle attached to the spring. While this method makes the area you have to work somewhat tighter, I feel it still shaves a few minutes off install...to each their own.

Once the shackle is down low enough, the relocation box can be slipped into the old shackle housing.

DSCN0231Medium.jpg

The original bolt can be reinserted, or Rough Country also provides new ones. The next step is to insert the nutstrip (flag nut) into the front of the shackle housing to add provisions for the two new 7/16" Grade 8 bolts that will secure the relocation bracket.

DSCN0236Medium.jpg

Once those are bolted in, the three bolts can be torqued.

After the relocation box is bolted in, the next step is to add the adjustable piece that the shackle bolts to. It is held to the relocation bracket by (2) 1/2" Grade 8 bolts and washers.
The long side should go towards the front of the Jeep. After these bolts are torqued, the only thing left to do is determine proper shackle placement. This Jeep had stock shackles, but as I said, was lifted around 3.5". I used the middle hole since the directions showed that as the one being used and it gave an almost perfect shackle angle.

DSCN0242Medium.jpg

The placement will differ depending on many different factors of each XJ.

The driver's side install was very similar to the passenger except the fuel filler hose shield needs to be removed. Be prepared for pounds of dirt to come out as it is removed.

On the driver's side I also had an issue with the bolt threads being slightly rounded. The bolt wasn't crossthreaded, the threads just weren't as sharp as they originally were. This provided a bit of a problem as I went to reinstall because the threads in the welded nut were also somewhat distorted. I was able to put enough inward pressure on the ratchet as I was tightening the bolt to get it to finally grab the threads, but it took a lot of force. Again, Rough Country provides a new bolt that can be used for the stock location if desired.

I had two major expectations out of this product.
-To lift somewhere between the advertised 1" and 1.5"
-To improve shackle angle

This is the end result

DSCN0243Medium.jpg

The relocation brackets fulfilled both of my expectations. Overall I am extremely happy with the install. This Jeep went from having a terrible shackle angle to an almost optimal one in an afternoon. Rough Country has once again put out a great product to complement their great customer service. Thanks guys!

If anyone has any questions on the product or the install, let me know.

-Collin

Last edited:
Yep. Soon to be a problem with that much flex in one leaf. Time to rebuild that pack

meh..the leaf did not catch my attention, I believe it was Kaitlyns legs in pics #6 & 9 that had my attention!! :D

You guys think I need a whole new pack? The current one has an AAL. Is the main one going to shear right where it's bent like a banana?

Nice write up, good pics.How are your shocks now? (short) I've been looking at these for the wifes jeep, but she hasn't given me the okay yet.

You guys think I need a whole new pack? The current one has an AAL. Is the main one going to shear right where it's bent like a banana?

it will start with axle wrap, and if left like that will eventually just snap the main leaf.. Been there

:D I'm telling Kaitlin

Tell her I said :wave1: and that the Jeep is looking good! Throw the HDOR ones on the bee and tell us the difference! :D

Nice write up, good pics.How are your shocks now? (short) I've been looking at these for the wifes jeep, but she hasn't given me the okay yet.
Shocks are good since they were meant for a 4.5" lift.

it will start with axle wrap, and if left like that will eventually just snap the main leaf.. Been there
Gotcha, I will start looking for a new main if not a whole new pack, thanks.

Tell her I said :wave1: and that the Jeep is looking good! Throw the HDOR ones on the bee and tell us the difference! :D
I will Aaron. I would still like to purchase a set of HD Engineering's in the future, if I do, a write up and comparison will ensue.

Hey Collin thanks for that review and glad your happy with the end result. Let me know what you think about the actual ride quality before and after as well.

Pics look great and I sure hope those arent your anklets in the pic :gee:

Hey Collin thanks for that review and glad your happy with the end result. Let me know what you think about the actual ride quality before and after as well.

Pics look great and I sure hope those arent your anklets in the pic :gee:
Hey Jason,
Ride quality has improved ten fold from before. I installed a set of control arm drop brackets at the same time, but something tells me the shackle relocators really helped. Thanks again for the great product.
-Collin

PS-not my anklets but I can ask Kaitlin where she got em if you want a set :)

Although I don't have RC's boxes, I do run HD's and give ya a little warning that the stock shackles don't work well with this type of modification. You will find that just a little bit of squatting or uptravel will bind the stock shackle to the bottom of the box bracket. You can see the obvious issue in one of your pictures where it shows how close the shackle already is. I have the same problem and had to go back to a almost 80 degree angle just to give my stock shackle enough room to swivel properly without binding.

This is as far as the shackle is allowed to go with mine previously set at 45 degrees and i'm not even flexing. I only loaded up 200 lbs of cargo:

DSCF7446.jpg

It would result in a bang or harsh rebound when hitting dips or bumps in the road. Annoying. I'm currently in the process of swapping out the 4.5" springs for some 3.5" springs and a longer shackle to fix this issue.

if you don't mind losing the last two bolt holes, why couldn't you just cut out a section of the bracket to allow room for the shackle to move? i/m no engineer but i wouldn't think it would affect strength, and it's an easy/cheap fix.
shackle.jpg

i ask because i think i am gonna be in the same position as you. i just finished installing a 4.5" kit and i am happy, but the shackle angle does suck. i would be fine with another inch or so of lift with the relocation bracket, no higher though(for now:)). but i certainly do not want to buy another set of springs just because i need bigger shackles to make the relocation bracket work.

if you don't mind losing the last two bolt holes, why couldn't you just cut out a section of the bracket to allow room for the shackle to move? i/m no engineer but i wouldn't think it would affect strength, and it's an easy/cheap fix.
shackle.jpg

i ask because i think i am gonna be in the same position as you. i just finished installing a 4.5" kit and i am happy, but the shackle angle does suck. i would be fine with another inch or so of lift with the relocation bracket, no higher though(for now:)). but i certainly do not want to buy another set of springs just because i need bigger shackles to make the relocation bracket work.

That's what I've been told by a few but I don't want to cut up the brackets and end up needing the holes in the future. Besides, I hate these RC springs with a passion and they need to go. I'm aiming for Iron Rock's 6 leaf 3.5" pack and 1" shackle.

Could you drill two new holes that attach the "lower bracket" to the upper bracket? If they had built the lower bracket with the two holes slightly offset so that when you flip it around it moves it a half inch or so, then you would have ten different positions instead of five.

Mine has sliding slots where the two bolts go so it can be moved forward and backwards about an inch. Flippin it around won't make much of a difference but I dunno about the RC one since it just has bolt holes and no adjustable slots.

if the rc brackets only have the 2 holes and i wud be the same if u flipped it. then u cud cut off the back 2 holes and if u needed them then u cud just flip the bracket around and there u go u still got 3 holes or fab up somthing wen the time comes!

Back