• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Urgent Help Needed! AX15 2WD slip yoke problem?

xj_mike

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

So I am swapping in an AX15 from a 2WD Cherokee into another project. I am at the point I need to get the slip yoke set and measure for my driveshaft BUT I have a major problem.

When I try to slip the yoke into the trans output, it goes in about an 1" and then you can feel it hit something (I assume the output bushing) and it will not slide in any further. If I try to gently tap it in with a dead blow hammer, it really doesn't want to go in and you can feel it get really tight when you try to turn it. It should slip in fairly easily and turn without a lot of effort.

So, does this mean the output shaft might be bent? I have tried two different slip yokes and get the same issue so I guess the problem is in the trans.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts or am I screwed? I am trying to get this truck ready for a show next week and this is the last piece to get done. HELP!!!

Thanks!!!

Are you sure of the spline count and that the driveshafts you are trying to insert into the transmission are the proper ones for the transmission?
You might want to take some measurements inside the transmission and compare them to the driveshaft yokes.....

Yep, splines count is the same. I picked up a second slip yoke yesterday from Jeep 911 down in Otay. This one was from a 2WD AX15. It slides on the splines about 1.5" fine (output shaft sticks out about .5") but then it hits what I figure is the output shaft bushing (part behind the seal) and doesn't go back any further.

As for measurements from inside, that would require pulling the back of the trans case off which is much further into this trans then I want to go.

I did get in contact with the guy I got the trans from and he still has the original shaft/yoke. I am working on getting that yoke sent to me, since we know that came from it.

Well, I ended up pulling the trans and taking it down to the place I got the yoke from. As I found out, they tested the yoke I got on an output shaft from a 2WD AX15 and the splines fit, so they figured it was good. When we then tried in a 2WD tail housing, they saw it would not fit. Duh!

So they found a 2WD driveshaft in the yard and we checked that yoke. Perfect! I'm good to go.

For reference, that is 3 different yokes I have had in hand. Lesson learned, never buy a trans unless you get the yoke to go with it! Driveshaft is being built for my application. :D

Back