• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HO swap with renix intake is done but have a problem.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
the motor cranks over and starts relatively easily and it will keep running but it seems to surge it will idle up pretty high and then idle back down and then do it again. sometimes it will hold a good idle and sometimes not.

also the exhaust reeks of fuel.

the motor i put in was in great working order befor i pulled it out of the donor jeep.

sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Could also be TPS, MAP, or IAC sensors.

well there is a port on the intake manifold that goes to the valve cover on my renix motor. im assuming it goes to the same place on the HO valve cover. but have not yet hooked it up because i have to go get one of the grommets that go on the valve cover for the hose to hoook to.

but regardless of if i plug it or let it take in air it still runs like trash.

the renix motor did the same thing but not this bad. it would go up and down in idle about 100RPM every once and awhile but not like this.

also when i have the manual transmission in nuetral it will spin the rear yoke (drivelines are not in yet) also i have not gotten my new slave cylinder and master cylinder yet. so there is no slave installed dont know if that why? but didnt seem normal..

well i found part of my problem the IAC was coated in oil crap so i cleaned that up and then i realized i had two of my plug wires flip flopped :wstupid: i guess that's what i get for putting it together at 3 in the morning so that fixed my problem alot.

the idle still fluctuates a little but not as bad as before, i am finding that the car is vibrating and shacking alot however. i put in new motor mounts and was curious if that could cause the vibration threw the whole car? my old motor mounts were toast.

Yeah, new motor mounts will "firm" up the feel of the motor. Poly motor mounts will turn on a girl if she sits in the jeep when its running smoothly.

I swapped a 95 HO auto into an 87 Pioneer manual. Ran like a raped ape. It did however have a slight skip from 1900-2000 rpms, barely noticeable, but always there.

Brown dog motor mounts are the way to go, don't get the poly unless its not a daily driver, and you like the rattles. Get the stock rubber formula, you'll be super happy and alot of your driveline vibes will be reduced.

Brown dog motor mounts are the way to go, don't get the poly unless its not a daily driver, and you like the rattles. Get the stock rubber formula, you'll be super happy and alot of your driveline vibes will be reduced.

i have read a thousand times that brown dog motor mounts are by far the best XJ mount and have been considering getting them sense before this swap.

the motor mounts i have are new OEM style mounts i can hear my exhaust rattling pretty bad on the tranny crossmember because i havent welded that cresent shaped exhaust mount for the new ax15 tranny mount onto my old exhaust yet.

maybe i will just order some brown dogs in a couple weeks. if the vibration doesnt get better.

thanks!

I've alwaya used the Renix cover so I don't know for sure what's involved in using the HO version. If you stay Renix, you'l know for sure that the CCV system will opereate properly. Plus th evalve cover gasket will be new and you'll get a good gander at the top of the head to see how sludgy your donor engine is or isn't.

i have read a thousand times that brown dog motor mounts are by far the best XJ mount and have been considering getting them sense before this swap.

the motor mounts i have are new OEM style mounts i can hear my exhaust rattling pretty bad on the tranny crossmember because i havent welded that cresent shaped exhaust mount for the new ax15 tranny mount onto my old exhaust yet.

maybe i will just order some brown dogs in a couple weeks. if the vibration doesnt get better.

thanks!

Worth every penny. There rebuildable. The anchor ones from autozone are shit. Mine ripped after three months, I could tell because the exhaust was rattling on the cross member as you stated. I'm sure the OEM ones are a step above, but won't last that long. Brown dogs literally eliminated driveline vibes (or what I thought was) also. Wouldn't build an XJ without them. My friend and worked up how much it would cost us to fabricate a brown dog mount, and after our welding labor, cutting, etc.. It wouold cost way more than buying them. They have a really fair price. And if you want to experiment with poly, you can just buy the bushings and replace them. Simple and genius. Why chrysler, why such a shitty design.

Back