• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E-autoworks upgrade harness and DRL

bobvalli

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I've posted around the forums asking for an answer regarding the installation of the e-autoworks H4 upgrade harness in an export XJ with the DRL feature.

The problem is with the DRL feeding 6v to the base of the high beam relay of the upgrade harness. It either caused chattering of the relay or the relays to not turn on and off properly. The obvious solution was to unplug the DRL module, but in the process of doing that, the high beam indicator would no longer work.

So yesterday prior to installing the upgrade, I went through the wiring diagrams and figured out a solution. This was touched on in another post but without any details (yeah...I did it, it worked, but I don't remember how).

So with that said, once the wiring connector has been removed from the base of the DRL module, I used a 1K ohm 1/2 watt resistor (Radio Shack) to jumper between pins 1 & 4 of the DRL plug. This would be the pins connected to the RED and the RED/GRAY wires.

Well it worked like a champ. The headlights are like twice as bright, the relays cycle properly, and the high beam indicator works. Cool beans.

I didn't mention that as described in other posts, the relays for the foglights and the foglights/DRL must also be removed from the PDC.

Back