• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Running poor

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Been a couple frustrating weeks here...

To start off, its a 1988 XJ, 4.0, and the motor was rebuilt around 40-50k miles ago. She started running poor a few weeks ago, missing at around 2200-2500 RPM if held there. I replaced the MAP sensor, ECU, Plugs, Oil, TPS, Checked the fuel pump, fuel rail pressure, Fuel filter, and cleaned the throttle body. It stopped missing at 2200-2500 RPM, and now it backfires/Hesitates REALLY bad from off idle, or when I punch it. It also drops down to about 100-200 RPM if you let off of the gas, but it will catch itself after about 2 seconds and go back up to 800RPM. If you guys have any idea what it is, let me know. I recently replaced the distributor, so I think I may have it one tooth off? IDK this is making me pretty upset, and it's lucky it hasn't been hit with a sledge yet.

Sounds like you hit everything except the O2 sensor. Did you clean the IAC cavity and the control itself? Double check the grounds.

I recently replaced the distributor, so I think I may have it one tooth off?

Save the sledge. I'd say that your problem lies here. It took me a good 4 stabs to get my dist. right. The FSM and even Haynes explains it pretty well but it also says to stab it at 11:00 into the oil pump slot, it was really more like 11:05...just a c-hair over 11:00.

Get it back to TDC and try again.

Otherwise, clean and/or test your IAC

Save the sledge. I'd say that your problem lies here. It took me a good 4 stabs to get my dist. right. The FSM and even Haynes explains it pretty well but it also says to stab it at 11:00 into the oil pump slot, it was really more like 11:05...just a c-hair over 11:00.

Get it back to TDC and try again.

Otherwise, clean and/or test your IAC

^^^^^ what he said. If any vehicle backfires its a timing issue. Reinstall the distributor and check the timing.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Back fire is either timing or a burn't intake valve. If nothing else seems to fix it, do a compression test across the cylinders.

wouldnt a uncalibrated TPS cause the same thing?

wouldnt a uncalibrated TPS cause the same thing?
Would not cause a backfire.

I have seen it before where there was a real bad arcing between spark plug wires.

Try this:

DO NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGAL COPIES OF FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS! CONSIDER THIS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING.

And what about the cap, rotor, and wires?

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked the Cap and rotor. Cap had some wear marks on the tabs, the "Main Tab" on the rotor (Center one that gets pushed down) was covered in a black material. It has less than 2K miles on it too....idk if that means anything.

Try this:

DO NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGAL COPIES OF FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS! CONSIDER THIS YOUR ONE AND ONLY WARNING.

And what about the cap, rotor, and wires?

Sorry, didn't realize the link was illegal. Just trying to help. After the warning, what happens? Do you take away my birthday for providing something to someone who could have found the link on their own anyway? Do you have a politically correct link for the gentleman? If so, please provide it . I would love to use it in the future without alarming the Link Police.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't realize the link was illegal. Just trying to help. After the warning, what happens? Do you take away my birthday for providing something to someone who could have found the link on their own anyway? Do you have a politically correct link for the gentleman? If so, please provide it . I would love to use it in the future without alarming the Link Police.

Read the stickies. :twak:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59881

Multiple violations could lead to temporary (24-48 hr) time outs or worse. The rule is in place for a reason.

Read the stickies. :twak:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59881

Multiple violations could lead to temporary (24-48 hr) time outs or worse. The rule is in place for a reason.

I understand the rule is in place for a reason. I had no idea that providing a link that is universally available to anyone on the internet, to a service manual that is over 24 years old, is a violation of NAXJA policy. Again, can you provide a politically correct link for the gentleman trying to adjust his TPS? I gave him the first one I found. Please help.

The only legal and politically correct link is to a place where he can legally purchase the copyrighted material.

Back