• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at xj for a friend transfer case issues

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
So a buddy of mine bough a 98 for 3500 about a year ago
(some nice ones go for high 4's low 5's at lots around here) it was a green 98 w np231 aw4 and 8.25 rear
it was in pretty good shape untill he totalled it on the highway.. but it has loads of good parts left on it.

anyway he found one with the same setup same color but in rougher shape for 1500 and already commited to buying w a $100 deposit.

So gettting to the point i just went and looked at it and the motor was nice sounded great fired right up and guy said it only had 600 something miles on the motor and the odo had been reset when he got the motor in it . ran great in 2wd did have a touch of dw at 60-65 but we had just fixed that on his old one and already have all new bushimgs and joints w lifetime from his old one so no biggie there.

Also the rear half of the exaust had been replaced w a welded on setup from a newer 00 01 exaust like mine .. wich i beleive removed the rear oxygen sensors causing check engine light .. but once again he has the proper exaust set up and sensors at home so no biggie..

So things seemed ok untill i tried out 4wd when it shifted in it made a loud metallic TINK! noise and then when shifting out it would take it a while to shift out and when it did a LOUDER THUNK! noise and your back into 2hi.
Now we do have a perfectly good transfer case at his house but this is begining to look like some work here. Also there was a loud whine while in 4.

also right before we left the odo said NO BUS wich after a quick search seems like not a big deal maybe a loose connection behind guages.

the thing i am curious about is the transfer case ..
did check the fluid and it looked clean and was on the lower end of the ok scale but not under the fill line.. should we just swap the transfer case or is its something worth fixing maybe?

any input would be appreciated

Last edited:
Re: looking at xj for a friend tranfer case issues

The whining is just from lack of use, no biggie

The clunk is probably something getting jammed up. Are the tires different manuf or size? That causes binding in the transfer case. If you have the other transfer case then you're set anyway

Heck, swap the known-good working t-case from the totalled one.

Re: looking at xj for a friend tranfer case issues

The whining is just from lack of use, no biggie

The clunk is probably something getting jammed up. Are the tires different manuf or size? That causes binding in the transfer case. If you have the other transfer case then you're set anyway

Forgot about this thread So Late reply But I wanted to give credit where it wa due ..

Ehall Nailed It! Front left tire was slightly larger and i had missed it

I Forgot about it but i remembered having a similar issue when i had to use the stock doughnut spare with my 31's . So really i shouldve thought of that (got a full sized in stock location now)

But thanks man we mightve swapped it for no reason lol

Hes had it for awhile now and it runs great , he even swapped the tan interior for his old black stuff .. turned out to be a great buy for him

were going to try to make a matching trailer out of his old xj to sleep in. if we ever get anywhere ill post it up

Last edited:
Back