• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter dead?

sledneck

NAXJA Forum User
I'm buying a 96 (4.0 i think it has a Aw4) from my friend who lives a couple hours away. He wants to dump it because the torque converter fell off. I'm buying if from him stealing the bumpers, fixing it and selling it again. From what I've gathered (don't know auto trannys that well still) I'm gonna have to pull the transmission to fix it. Has anyone had the tc fall all the way off before and if so did it ruin anything else? Thanks

well i am not quite sure what you mean by fell all the way off, but the flex plates that they bolt to have a tendency to crack and break around the crank bolts. if the flex plate breaks completey it can allow the torque converter to be pushed back toward the transmission a little and pretty much be disengaged from the engine. a pretty simple fix as long as the torque converter didnt ruin the pump seal.

He said the bolts came out. He said the tranny will not engage it just made a horrible screeching kind of metal scraping sound so that might be just it. He took the inspection plate out and it sounded like he found bolts but I'm still waiting for a confirmation of that. He also didn't say anything about it leaking fluid so hopefully it will be pretty simple. Thanks for the reply.

So the bolts backed all the way out and it realy did fall off. It tore up the backing plate a bit but not too bad. The flex plate, I'm guessing this is what the converter bolts too, is wallowed out a bit where the four bolts went to the converter but I think will still work. The converter is broken where it slips into the tranny. I loked online at autozone and it will not give me a option for a 1996 cherokee tourque converter but it gives me one for a my 2000. Is it the same?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...rByKeyWord=Torque+Converter&fromString=search

"Transmission casting code #52104210AC. 3:00 Starter hump, 20 spline input, 23 spline output shaft, removable transfer case."

From what I've seen it should e the same.

Pics to come

with the inspection plate pulled
IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

flex plate notice the 4 holes. I was hopinf t reuse this but tell me what yu think
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Converter
IMG_0079.jpg

backing plate
IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

I would not reuse that flex plate, certainly not the torque converter, and probably not the transmission. There is likely a LOT of metal debris inside the transmission that will result in a very short life and it will kill the new converter as well. If you rebuild the Jeep, make sure you flush the trans cooler lines and trans cooler inside the radiator very thoroughly as well to ensure that there aren't a bunch of metal filings there either.

I would not reuse that flex plate, certainly not the torque converter, and probably not the transmission. There is likely a LOT of metal debris inside the transmission that will result in a very short life and it will kill the new converter as well. If you rebuild the Jeep, make sure you flush the trans cooler lines and trans cooler inside the radiator very thoroughly as well to ensure that there aren't a bunch of metal filings there either.

You think it tore up the inside of the tranny too then? The input shaft on the tranny was clean, no stripping or anything. The converter is done for sure and I think I will get a new flex plate.

I suspect it might be... the only thing I can think of that would rip off the torque converter snout like that is the torque converter angling slightly to the side and wobbling, which would wear metal off either the input and reaction shafts or the inside of the torque converter neck or possibly both. How's the torque converter neck look, especially the inner bore? If it looks OK and the input gear drive keys look OK too (you may have to pull the pump input seal to see them well) I MIGHT chance it if I had nothing else to replace it with, but since AW4s are a dime a dozen (can pick one up in bolt-in condition for 100-200 bucks) I would probably stuff a new one in for peace of mind.

You definitely should get a new flexplate though - they are fairly cheap and that one is all done. If you were a bit closer I'd give you one, I have two or three perfectly good ones sitting in my storage unit right now.

Ok. Well I'm gonna call the local junk yard in the morning and see how much for the flex plate and maybe a torque converter. (trying to fix it as cheap as possable) The Converter fell off from neglect and it just loosened to the point it fell off. I dont think it was not run a whole lot after so I think I'm gonna chance the tranny being good still.
Thanks

Ok. Well I'm gonna call the local junk yard in the morning and see how much for the flex plate and maybe a torque converter. (trying to fix it as cheap as possable) The Converter fell off from neglect and it just loosened to the point it fell off. I dont think it was not run a whole lot after so I think I'm gonna chance the tranny being good still.
Thanks

Whoever was driving that Jeep during the time the bolts were loosening up to the point of falling out must have been deaf!!

From what I have seen, as long as the actual holes holes in the converter are not totally fubar'd and the new bolts can be tightened down correctly, I would go ahead and reuse the TC. You will know within a day or two if there was any internal damage. Make sure and Loctite the new bolts. While at the JU, snag the bolts.

the torque converter has no snout to hold it straight in the crankshaft... not gonna go so well.

They probably think you are talking about a catalytic converter not a torque converter. I have no idea why they wouldn't sell you a used torque converter, if it is a "we pull it" yard they are going to have it pulled just getting to the flex plate anyways.

i did a good number on my TC and just said XXXX it and reinstalled it, I took a decent sized piece out of it by jamming it into the tranny trying to line it up

shifts great!! and by storage unit kastein means backyard

they should all be the same, I know the oil pumps are, i have an 89 pump in my 2000 right now

They didn't want to separate a good converter from a good tranny. Ya the converter that came out is broken so it will not work for sure. I hope it works I'm gonna go ahead and order one

i did a good number on my TC and just said XXXX it and reinstalled it, I took a decent sized piece out of it by jamming it into the tranny trying to line it up

shifts great!! and by storage unit kastein means backyard

they should all be the same, I know the oil pumps are, i have an 89 pump in my 2000 right now
I have several in the back yard and several in the storage unit(s) actually :roflmao:

They didn't want to separate a good converter from a good tranny. Ya the converter that came out is broken so it will not work for sure. I hope it works I'm gonna go ahead and order one
understandable. The you pull it yards around here will complain a bit if you do, but it's kinda too late from their perspective so they let you do it, they might just charge a dumbass tax if you aren't a frequent customer. If I could figure shipping I would send you one for free. I think I have at least 3 or 4 spares of each and I really don't need them or even want them. I just suck at shipping large bulky stuff.

Just a link, the number is the part numbered for th TC, not tranny, they might not sell the one you need but can find the compatibility for you

Back