• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock front bump stops R/R

jworth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to change the pretty much completely destroyed bump stops on the front of my 94 XJ. All that you see when you look where the bump stop should be is the end of the metal tube. I can feel around up in there and feel bits of deteriorated bump stop. Looking for new ones I find that about the most readily available and cost efficient bump stops are the extended versions presumably designed for lifted rigs. My Jeep is stock height and will remain that way. I'm thinking of getting the extended stops and then cutting them down to size. So my question is how long are the stock bump stops, at least how long do they protrude from the cup?

Thanks, Mike. I also found them at Quadratec for about $9/ea. The only thing to figure out is which type I have. Depending where I look, including the drivewire link, it shows a screw in type and a press-in type. Feeling around under my Jeep I think it's the press in type. Since they're mostly deteriorated I can feel what I think may be a threaded hole up in the center but I don't think the stock stops on the '94 used that kind. I'll figure it out.

As far as the type, you can take a pair of adjustable pliers/vice grips and try to unscrew your stockers. I want to say that the 97+/maybe 96 used the pressed ones, and that the 95-down used the screw in type.

All of them use little indentations in the cup to hold the jounce bumper in place. They are wriggled in and out. The reference to "screw" type is for the cup itself--all jeep models EXCEPT the XJ use a bolt to hold the cup in place, while the cup on the XJ is welded in place. But even with the cup difference, the jounce bumpers are all press in.

Back