• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Sliders

rwdawg2

NAXJA Forum User
I have been searching and have not really found anything for roof sliders/rain rail sliders/gutter guards/etc...

Then only thing that comes up are the HD engineering ones and the Olympic top hat. That got me thinking. Which is a better way to go about building a bolt on roof slider/roof rack.

I want people who have done and/or tried the gutter mounted sliders to give pros and cons on why you should go this route or not.

On the other hand anyone who has done the HD engineering style sliders, please give your pros and cons as well.

The best I can figure is that the gutter mounts are stronger but if impacted that will leave a nasty crease/dent right above your rain rail roof line. And on the other hand the HD mounting style is mounted on the roof where there is nothing but flat sheet metal, which does not seem very strong in the first place.

I realize most of you guys just build a cage with these but I don't want to cage it all out as I drive it every day but want something to stand up to some weekend abuse.

Thanks,
Lindsey

I would do this style.
IMG_0067.jpg

I saw gutter mounting brackets on the jcroffroad website and was thinking of building my own rail/rack with them. From the images on the website, it seems the bolt threads into the other bracket or nut behind it and digs into the roof. Also, since the brackets are metal should they be coated with plastidip or some other treatment so they don't chew the heck out of the gutter rails?

I don't think those gutter mounts are going to be strong enough to hold up something that is used for hitting trees, plus it'll be super tall. All the designs you see here and from HD offroad bolt into the stock nutserts in the roof where the rack originally went.

The olympic rack is nice but its just that, a rack. Brian's Roof Sliders completely replace the rack. Big Hank drilled holes in his roof sliders so he could mount small D-rings and still be able to carry stuff on his roof. These are on my list, since here in Indiana, there are a lot of trees. My drip rails are taking some serious abuse! Roof sliders can take some serious Abuse but it could be possible to damage the roof but i'm betting it wouldn't be easy.

Really? No nutserts or anything in the roof at all? Weird.

Guess you can figure out a way to use the gutter mounts, but I'd keep the 'rack' as low as possible to put the smallest amount of torque on the mounts. Those JCR style gutter mounts are made to support weight in a vertical direction, not loads from the side.

Base models, like my '89 XJ, do not have roof racks. (I added one from an old wrecked '79 model 17 Cherokee). I'd rather a roof carrier that could double to protect my '89, whilst between trees, i.e., tipped over this way and that in mud ruts.

I would do this style.
IMG_0067.jpg

yeah i like this too but maybe add those gutter mounts that JCR makes to tie it into another point so it spreads the hit across more of the roof. and it probably is a good idea to add a backing plate under the mounts.then later you could tie the backing plate into a cage

I saw gutter mounting brackets on the jcroffroad website and was thinking of building my own rail/rack with them. From the images on the website, it seems the bolt threads into the other bracket or nut behind it and digs into the roof. Also, since the brackets are metal should they be coated with plastidip or some other treatment so they don't chew the heck out of the gutter rails?

I used door edge molding when I build my roof rack brackets.
Now I want to tie in roof sliders of some sort, but pretty sure I'd have to abandon the gutter mount brackets to do it...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/homebrewed-gutter-mount-roof-rack-345020/

I have the olympic bolt on thingy that quadratec sells, it has kept the jeep from leaning on quite a few trees....

DSCF0513.jpg

Yeah nothing on my roof but two cb bung's and my thought was to get a gutter mounted rack that is low and sturdy and tie it into my rock sliders I think that would be strong .
:greensmok

Just install your own nutserts.

If I do the HD offroad rack, I am going to get rid of the nutserts and put a plate on the inside of the roof to spread the load out, I don't really trust the factory nutserts as they almost alway strip out.

If I do the HD offroad rack, I am going to get rid of the nutserts and put a plate on the inside of the roof to spread the load out, I don't really trust the factory nutserts as they almost alway strip out.

Depends on the year,they used both "wellnuts" and "nutcerts".But any kind of backer plate would definately add strength.

Back