• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bucking, Stalling, Shut off while driving. Won't start

CoffeeCommando

NAXJA Forum User
1998, Ltd, AW4, 4.0 + 0.7 Engine

I got code P0740 ("TCC Malfunction, Mod $18") but I also have P0171 for too lean. I've had them both for about a month now.

Right at about 43 MPH while driving it shifts from 3rd to OD. Sometimes when I am slowing down really slowly... when it's getting ready to shift from OD back to 3rd it's like it can't make up its mind and starts bucking on me (sometimes, not always). One time the transmission dropped out and completely dropped to idle speed, then picked right back up a second later. It did that, then I put it in third gear (I have an AW4) and the problem went away of course since it didn't have to do any calculation on shifting.

That was about a month ago. After that it rarely give me a few bucking's while driving (going from OD to third).

Also when starting it the speedo will shoot to 100 then back down. Sometimes it will jump around a lot ... until I start driving.

Now, in the past few days I have been wheeling and getting muddy. It has a hard time starting. So much that I have disconnected the SAFC thinking it was that (even though I didn't have a code for high MAP ckt, but I have had problems with it in the past). Then it finally cranked... although barely. After it's been driving a while it'll crank with no problems at all, until now.

Just before it kicked the bucket it was missing while throttling steady (after a 20 mile drive and it was good and warm). Then when I gave it more gas it just sputtered and barely maintained speed until I let off the throttle. As I slowed down enough to turn into the gas station to stop and have a leak it cut off completely at about 10 MPH and I rolled to a stop. After that, no more crank. The only codes I got were P0740 and P0171.

Something else I noticed was while the tow truck was backing it up onto the platform, it has a small fuel drop (I had just filled up the tank with 10 gallons of gas to full... so I was also wondering if I just got water in my tank since it wasn't doing it before then at all) rolling down the front of the tank. I'm curious as to whether that is to be expected from a tank that is slightly over full, or if there is something I need to check. I replaced the fuel pump a few months ago (Airtex, and from what I have read that could be my problem) and I made damn sure the top was on perfect and tight, as well as both lines down there were fully seated like they were supposed to. I know that the one that is more like a vent didn't seem like it was air tight (the housing that attaches to the tank, not that actual line I reconnected).

I'm about to go down there and clean the piss out of any connections I find. I have never messed with the NSS but I think I have read that it can cause a no-start. I figured that could have influence.

The TCU is the thing underneath the center-user-storage-trim-thingy in the back, correct? I could have sworn that when I pulled it off of someone's 97 it was under the dash up by the rightside of the driver's foot area under the center console area... but mine was under the back of the central storage area (right above the back of the transmission) underneath all that trim.

Notes:
1. MAP, TPS, IAC, CPS, and CKS are all BRAND NEW within the last 4 months.
2. I'm not sure what type of transmission fluid was put in it a year ago when I changed it, but I followed the Haynes so it was a Mercon of some sort.
3. The vehicle was submerged, transmission included back in early march in salt water. Never had any problems with it after that though... until a month ago.

So with all those facts in place...
1. What can cause P0740?
2. Is it normal for a full tank of gas when leaned forward considerably to have a small drip? And if not would a small air-tight leak like that cause the fuel pump to not have proper pressure.. resulting in P0171 (I have no manifold or vacuum leaks mind you. I have checked)
3. Would a dirty NSS cause no-start/shut off while driving?

I posted this on CherokeeForum but I'm not getting any help there.

Your Jeep got wet, expect that moisture remains in the electrical connectors and may have corroded them or your computers, the PCM and/or the TCU.

Deal with the P0171 - Test the TPS, Test the O2 sensors, inspect all the wires and wire plugs for damage, wetness, or corrosion. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

The bouncing speedo is probably moisture/corrosion in the T-case speedo sensor wires and may effect the shifting. A faulty TPS may effect the shifting and/or running.

The NSS controls starting and shifting, but not the engine running, see TPS and O2 sensors.

The fuel leak is related to the fuel pump replacement, re-check your work. The running issues may be related to your choice of fuel pump, Airtex sucks.

Use your Google-fu.

Last edited:
Your Jeep got wet, expect that moisture remains in the electrical connectors and may have corroded them or your computers, the PCM and/or the TCU.

Deal with the P0171 - Test the TPS, Test the O2 sensors, inspect all the wires and wire plugs for damage, wetness, or corrosion. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

The bouncing speedo is probably moisture/corrosion in the T-case speedo sensor wires and may effect the shifting. A faulty TPS may effect the shifting and/or running.

The NSS controls starting and shifting, but not the engine running, see TPS and O2 sensors.

The fuel leak is related to the fuel pump replacement, re-check your work. The running issues may be related to your choice of fuel pump, Airtex sucks.

Use your Google-fu.

Just tested the fuel pressure and have none. By none I mean after turning it to run 3 times I can only get about 6 drops of fuel out of the rail.

Airtex has finally kicked the bucket. Just after I started wheeling too. Apparently they can't handle the abuse.

Getting a Bosch from NAPA tomorrow.

Autuzone only does 1 for 1 swap on airtext fuel pumps, and that's all they carry. Never buying another part from them again. It's the principle. I've spent well over a few thousand dollars at autozone in the past few years. Never again.

o2 sensor in the front i would bet money on it

02 Sensor in the front are brand new and operate properly. NTK. Put them on a few days ago and haven't had any problems since.

Until I get the fuel pump worked out I'm not touching the SAFC. I like to complete one task at a time so I don't increase the possibility of adding variables that I may have noob'd in the process, compounding troubleshooting. :nono:

Back