• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Off-Road Light relay question....

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
I just got the Harbor Freight lights and wanted to install tonight.

image_130.jpg

This is the diagram from HF:

2zzoowh.jpg

I have seen it's suggested to run a relay, would this style be relay that would work with this setup

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_6250513-P_x_x[/URL]
6250513_opt_a715_pri_larg.jpg

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but where is the "correct" position inline to install the relay? The Diagrams online seem to differ. Just want to grab this on the way home from work today and make sure I get everything I need before auto store closes... Also I know there are better lights, just needed something to add a little more light, do not need extreme performance, so please don't suggest just getting KC lights. thanks

You do not want to follow the diagram supplied with the lights. You are correct to use a relay but it will require a completley diffrent wiring set up you cant just throw it in. Search on here or google for a diagram. It may seem a little more complex but it is much better and safer to use a relay and wire it properly.

Here's an easily understood example. This diagrams shows fans but you'd wire lights up the same way. I'd use like a 5 amp fuse in the power feed to the switch and a 20 amp fuse between the battery and relay. Remember to keep the fuse as close to the power source as possible..... Also another note not all switches will require to be grounded, just lighted switches

relaywiring.jpg

Back