• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooling lines

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
My bro is replacing the radiator in his heep. It's a 2001 with the AW4 tranny. I have only ever worked on a manual jeep that didn't have tranny lines going into the radiator. My question is how the he'll do you get off the pressure line on the bottom? And how bad is it if he cut it off with hopes of clamping in on the new radiator?

If I can remember he has to get a "fuel line tool" to get it off. It is called Quick Connect Release Tool -- 6935 in the service manual.

...if you cut it off you will need a new line, it's under pressure you cant just use a hose clamp.

My XJ has not had quick discos on the tranny lines since one of them blew off on the trail...about 5 yrs. ago. It's all rubber line (P/S line 3/8") with hose clamps. Has never leaked, seeped or given way.

You use a hose clamp if you bypass the radiator and install an independent transmission cooler. It's not as much pressure as you might think.

...and I have it set up so the radiator loop is bypassed in the summer to a full sized tranny cooler (like 10" by 10"). In the winter I add one hose and move the other to put the radiator in the loop, with the tranny cooler still involved. All rubber hose and hose clamps. The pressure is just residual pressure and does not amount to much.

Back