• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling troubles with all new parts and still have problems

JWFab 1

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i just had a new remanufacuture 4.0 installed and completely redid the cooling system before that.. i mean everything. The new motor has 50 miles on it.

Electric fan turns on properly when the a/c is turned on.
The cooling system is open removed closed system components.
Radiator with a radiator cap.
Thermostat is between 190-195.
Newer style thermostat housing.
New temp sensor on cylinder head.
Water pump is flowing the right direction.
Fully vacuumed cooling system.
drilled a small hole in the upper part of the thermostat to allow bubbles to escape head.
Cooling fans working properly new fan clutch and the electric fan is also turning on. and blowing the right direction.
The Trans cooler is in line with the radiator cooler.
When installing the motor there was no coil in the lower radiator hose to prevent suck down but that would cause a concern on the free way he has the concern all the time till he turns on the heater.

The Jeep was at 210 when it was cooler out. the A/C wasn't working before.
The Jeep runs at 215 constant with the A/C off. 210 with the heater on. 240+ with A/C on.

To me it sounds like possible radiator being to small, lower radiator hose spring or the gauge could be off.
Need to put a manual gauge in the thermostat housing to know true temp or a IR gun.

Does this seem to be right?

I believe I added info to help with the diagnoses or possibly this is normal sounds like it works perfect with out A/C but when it gets loaded with the A/C being on that is when it hits the higher temps

You are going by the stock GAUGE right? I wouldn't trust that. Get a gauge an do a test on it to see if your stock one is off, mine is about 15 degrees.

Back