• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air opinions

jeeptech1

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking at putting on board air on my cherokee for a while now but can't decide which way to do it. so i'm asking for experience on whats worked best for you guys. the system needs to be able to fill my 33's, fix flats on the dirt bikes, and basicly inflate things (preferably not at a snails pace). maybe even run air tools but not a necessity. i'm pretty sure i want a 3 gallon tank but the compressor part is the dilema.

option 1: normal 120 volt "pancake" compressor run off a power inverter and running into a 3 gallon tank.

option 2: viair 380c compressor into a 3 gallon air tank

option 3: complete viair system(not leaning this way)

i like my a/c so not feeling like converting it. if you have any other ideas sound off! and show pics of how you mounted yours. thanks!

Why is a belt driven compressor not on your radar? For running air tools, its going to be your best bet, whether sanden or york.

Why is a belt driven compressor not on your radar? For running air tools, its going to be your best bet, whether sanden or york.

mostly because i live in the muggy north west and my a/c works so i would like to keep it. if there is a way of adding another compressor somewhere i would look into it. ive just never heard of it.

I got my VIAIR constant duty from one of our new vendors, the parts guy, he gave me one hell of a deal, Ill learn as I figure out how to install it.

I have a Viair constant duty, 400 series? hell if I know. It's a very good product, I've been dragging it around and beating on it for 4 years or so and it's held up well.

I have a Viair constant duty, 400 series? hell if I know. It's a very good product, I've been dragging it around and beating on it for 4 years or so and it's held up well.
I have a Viair 300C (apparantly a rare model as I haven't ever seen another one) and it has held up well but it is slower than the $60 Costco compressor. I have a york and mounting kit waiting to be installed when I get off my butt and move the battery.

I have a Viair 300C (apparantly a rare model as I haven't ever seen another one) and it has held up well but it is slower than the $60 Costco compressor. I have a york and mounting kit waiting to be installed when I get off my butt and move the battery.

I believe the 400 series does quite a bit more air output.

I don't even have a tank and I've used it to seat beads on 34" super swampers.

Lots of guys I wheel with have Viair setups. I bought a "The Source" 10lb CO2 tank for my OBA and it's worked great. Airs up tires very fast and lasts a few trips even airing up my 35's from 12 psi to 28psi. I have the static 150psi regulator, but you can get an adjustable one to turn it down so you can run air tools. I've filled up a car tire with it before and it inflated it almost instantly. Went from 10psi to 30 in maybe 3 seconds with the lower volume. Could probably inflate a dirt bike tire in 1-2 seconds.

the dual compressor thing is cool but something tells me would cost way more than any other option. im curious about the c02 tanks, how long do they last on a charge? how much does it cost to charge them?

If going 12 volt, ARB compressors are the best 12 VDC compressors on the market. The CKMA12 is a great option for just over 200. They just released a new compressor within the last few months the CKMTA12. 100% duty cycle and over 6 CFM! That would be my choice if I was in the market hands down.

Viair's are way over rated.

ya, its a cool setup, but i cant find any spec sheet showing what the max pressure is for the compressor which makes me wonder if it would work in a setup with a tank. that and its about 250$ for a 50 percent duty cycled compressor.

the dual compressor thing is cool but something tells me would cost way more than any other option. im curious about the c02 tanks, how long do they last on a charge? how much does it cost to charge them?

I'm not 100% sure how long it lasts, but I know I can fill up my 35's from 12psi to about 28psi at least 4 times from my 10 lb tank. I usually just refill it after every two wheeling trips to be safe. Costs me 20 bucks to fill at the local paintball shop.

C02 tanks are a loosing battle buy the tank then fill it every time its empty +20$ give or take.. do the math if you filled the tank 5 times. You could of just spent the money up front instead of the nickel and dime... the super duty system is 475 to 500. Money well worth it

Back