• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this trailer hitch salvagable?

OoerictoO

NAXJA Forum User
hitch receiver and hitch are pretty much one piece.

i cut off the pin at both sides but it won't budge. took the torch to the receiver and used my air chisel, but the pin still won't budge.

think it's worth trying anything else to get the hitch out of the receiver?

crap, can't attach an image. annoying

Last edited:
If you can't get the hitch out of the receiver I'd mount the whole receiver to your rig, chain the hitch to something really sturdy and use the jeep to pull it out.

Sounds like it is heavily rusted. I would consider it a lost cause and replace both.

If a torch and air chisel didn't do it, I agree.

To get the full benefit of the torch, assuming it is a big oxy/acet torch, unbolt the hitch and, using a rosebud tip, heat the receiver until it glows red and beat the pin out while still red. This usually breaks the rust weld.

Guess you could drill the pin out, slowly increasing the hole size until the pin can be collapsed.
Makes me glad I live in a dry climate. Say hi to all my relatives in Portland.

Drilling a hitch pin out would be a nightmare, i doubt they're light metal...

Could you rig up some kind of press?

Ball joint tool and an impact gun. I would do that to press the pin out. Of course I would heat it a few times and soak it with ATF while it's hot. THe rapid expansion/contraction will draw the ATF in deep. Once the pin it out it's brute force to get the drawbar out of the receiver. That and more soaking it with penetrating oil.

Cut the pin off flush with the receiver then drill the remaining pin on both sides the thickness of the receiver which is about what 1/4" (.25") thick. The pin diameter is usually 5/8" so you will need a drill bit that size to complete the job.

Ball joint tool and an impact gun. I would do that to press the pin out. Of course I would heat it a few times and soak it with ATF while it's hot. THe rapid expansion/contraction will draw the ATF in deep. Once the pin it out it's brute force to get the drawbar out of the receiver. That and more soaking it with penetrating oil.

Good call--ball joint press. Autozone rents them.

I had a similar issue with a hitch being stuck in the receiver. I managed to get the hitch pin out using an air hammer. I heated the receiver red hot (after I had soaked in penetrating oil for a couple days) and chained it to a concrete post to try and pull the hitch out. With the jeep in 4 low I heard a snap sound as I lurched forward... the receiver had broken in half and smushed the rear bumper up just enough so the hatch wouldn't open. I think it might have cracked the driver's side "frame rail" under the fuel filler neck too. So I had the pleasure of beating the rear bumper back to shape, welding a plate over the cracked frame, and snapping every bolt on the receiver when I tried to remove it. Next time I think I'll just take the receiver off and get a new one instead.

I wonder if hitch pins are about the same size as a .45 bullet... :D

1911b1.jpg

If you're not in a huge hurry, just keep soaking it in PB Blaster ... every day, or a couple times a day, for a week or so. I wouldn't quit on it ... it'll come out.

Drill that puppy out, it wouldnt be that hard. The hitch pins are not hardened, and should drill easily with good bits. Step up a few times, and itll come right out.

Its definitely fixable.

~ Stump

i like this^ idea but why not get a bit as large and just take off enough to pull it out instead of drilling all the way thru

Yea that. See post # 10.

Back