• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage

Doc Holliday

NAXJA Forum User
What are y'alls opinion on those bolt in cages like they sell on 4wd.com? I dont have the know how or know anyone that does to be able to get a real one anytime soon. Wondered if they where worth it or purely for looks.

There is a very lively debate about this kind of thing in the socal chapter right now. My opinion is that it is better than not having a cage but if you need something you can truly rely on in a really bad roll, you would be safer with a custom built and properly designed cage. These bolt in cages offer some protection but would not likely hold up to a serious multiple turn roll or a roll at speed. Bear in mind this is merely my opinion, I am not a structural engineer.

Are you speaking of the Rock Hard 4x4 cage? I have one.

It is better than nothing. I got mine for a steal, which is why I went for it. (Like 500 off)

My unibody feels MUCH stiffer, and it fit the interior really well.

It has 8 large floor plates, but I plan on truly tying them into the frame in the future.

It's no joke though, high quality tubing, and quality clamps.

Lots of wrangler guys use those cages, they bolt onto the stock roll bar and create a full 6 point cage. Looks pretty beefy to me and I think I'd consider it if they didn't take up too much interior space. I just don't want the A-pillar bar to be hitting my knee all the time. which is why I'd rather have a hybrid exo.

Mitchell, any pics?

Just lookin for something to help protect while offroad, and stiffening up the chassis on road would be nice.

I like mine alot!

photo-6-1.jpg

photo-7.jpg

This is the best picture I have with the rear installed. I was trying to figure out how to set up my cargo area.

57a5bfa3.jpg

f6e3766b.jpg

61884380.jpg

a939f098.jpg

And the view_
38f802a1.jpg

I'm totally happy with it. I wheeled all weekend, and it just made everything feel more solid.

When I get back to the states, gotta get the Jeep running good first, then I think I will seriously consider getting this. I dont need a cage to protect me in a 60/MPH rollover....I hope.

I'd recommend it.

And I'd estimate it weighs less than 125 lbs, my suspension did not sag at all.

I'm resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one. This bolt in cage is listed by both 4wd.com and CSL Offroad in two models for the four door, one for "84 through "95, and one for "96 and newer. Since I have a "96 XJ, I have to wonder about this listing since the xj body change was with the "97 model, not the "96. I know, I know...I could call one of the vendors that sells this product but whenever I call vendors I always end up talking to someone who knows less about the product than I do.

Anybody know why the "96 model would be listed with the newer XJ's for this product, or does the listing sound to you like a mistake?

Back