• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool for separating hydraulic clutch line?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi:

- '91 XJ
- 4.0 I6
- AX15 MT
- Internal clutch slave cyl.

I need a special tool that will disconnect the hydraulic clutch line. Apparently it's the same tool used to separate Ford Fuel lines. Can somebody show me a pic of the tool? Preferably a brand name and part number? Where can I get the right tool?

Thanks!

Most of the "special tools" you can rent at Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc. have different sizes and adapters in the same box. Just go in and ask a real parts guy what you need to do.

Well ... I'm going to drop the tranny, put in a new clutch kit, new u-joints on the drive shafts, new tranny mount, and entire new exhaust system.

Right now, I've got some bad u-joints, and the clutch isn't fully disengaging because I had the flywheel resurfaced a while back. They took 0.080 off the face of the flywheel, which moves the compression plate farther from the internal slave cylinder. The solution is to either replace the flywheel, shim the flywheel, or shim the slave cylinder. I'm going to shim the slave cylinder, and put in a whole new clutch kit while I'm in there.

I'm going to replace the exhaust while I'm at it, because it's rusted out, and it will be easier to do it with the tranny/t-case/crossmember/drive shafts removed.

If somebody knows of the proper size for the disconnect tool, that would be great ... there are many sizes available, and I'd like to be sure I have the right one, since I live 30 miles from the nearest part store.

Back