• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford explorer shocks

Antiferret

NAXJA Forum User
anyone used these in the rear for a longer shock? howzit ride? i am considering this to go with my extra main leaf and use progressive bumpstops to protect the shockies.

ta

A shock is a shock,if its got the correct upper/lower mounting and the extended/collapsed length fits your lift................

i don't believe a shock is just a shock, i am also aware of the measurements required for selecting one for a lift.

My question was more to do with it coming from a heavier vehicle. would it be rated too stiff (i like my colon in its current configuration)?.

hence

why i wanted to talk from someone who has dunnit.:thumbup:

sorry if these seem basic questions, but here in australia, ford explorers are a comparative rarity (however my new neighbour happens to own a 96).

i know sweet FA about explorers but there seems to be a couple of similar vehicles made here in Oz that use identical shockies (so compared to the XJ, they're plentiful and cheap!)

so

please respond kindly to my requests for info, i am honestly not asking these questions to annoy anyone.

cheers

A shock really is a shock. When you get into better quality shocks, they do not list an OEM application, just length and valving.

You may find an longer OEM shock from another vehicle, it may be valved just a little heavier, but it will not offer you any measurable improvement.

If you are looking for improved performance, start by posting your height, weight, and intended vehicle use - then ask for shock suggestions.

Without knowing anything the best "all around" setup you will probably find is Bilistien 5150 series shocks valved at 255/70, at the appropriate length for your configuration.

I think he just wants to know if it will ride OK compared to stock, so he can get some from the junkyard. Some of you guys are thinking too much into this. I would assume that it would ride ok. I put JK shocks all arouind on my MJ, and it rides fine. I know a JK is a little heavier than an MJ but I noticed little if any difference in ride quality. The JK shocks are about an inch longer than the MJ's and needed minor mods to fit, but theyve been working fine, but now that Ive lifted a couple inches, they are a little to short. If theres a cheap JY upgrade in Exploder shocks for a little more length at a low cost, that would be a good thing to know.

I think he just wants to know if it will ride OK compared to stock, so he can get some from the junkyard.

Spot on mate, spot on. thanks for explaining my intentions. parts for all models of car (even locally made ones) are more expensive than what you can get stateside. i just want to make cheaper mistakes rather than expensive ones:(

Back