• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj starting weird

bonzel

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys the last two weeks I have been noticing a little thing when I go to work in the mornings usually but sometimes will happen a few other times when it has been sitting several hours. I park in a air conditioned garage and leave for work at 3:30am. I usually just hop right in and go, but the issue lately has been that ill just back up and start driving. Ill start going and it will start to cut out, ill let off the gas and slowly press again and it will hesitate, this process will continue for 1/4 mile and will be fine. It doesnt do it everyday but has happened several times in the last week.
I recently changed out a wire clip that fixed my temperature gauge from not reading, it wasnt giving me any reading and was causing it to not want to start. Also it would make my xj's rpms run a little high at idle. switching out the wire clip on top of the motor fixed both problems and now its reading fine.
1 other thing I have noticed with my current issue is that 3 or 4 times when I start it up throughout the day it will sound a little rough, almost lopey like. It could be more the my muffler is shot, but I can tell it just doesnt sound right.

any input would be great, thanks!!

Could also be your upstream O2 sensor. They don't always give a code when they act up.

Mine used to happen around 2K RPM. It felt hesitant like it wasn't getting enough fuel but would seem to "clear its throat" and then act normally.

That's was my experience with that symptom anyway. May not be yours.

Last edited:
1. Review tuneup hardware whenever you have a symptom. Fresh champion plugs gapped to .035, new plug wires, distributor cap and rotor

2. Refresh all your engine grounds. Often overlooked and important.

Simple stuff first. I'd start there. And yes, oxygen sensors are another thing that can be overlooked. They have a finite lifespan of between 100k and 150k, depending on the efficiency of the engine.

it starts right up on the first crank, I've owned it for 2 years now. When I first got it I changed plugs wires and cap. It has 135000 miles. During that quater mile strech I'll hold the pedal consistently and it will cut out and then jerks when it kicks in, the repeats process until after that stretch it's completely fine.

on my local forum a guy questioned oil pump and asked what it read at start up. It reads a hair over 0 for first 2-3 sec. With check gauges light for 1-2 sec then pops up to 40.

so you think I should start with 02 sensors?

Test the Throttle Position Sensor and inspect the wires and wire plug for damage and corrosion.

Test the O2 Sensors, inspect the wires and wire plugs for corrosion and damage.

TPS

You may have one or more of these Physical Symptoms:

1) The engine loses power and is stalling.
2) The engine will idle, but may die as soon as you press the gas pedal. When driving, it seems as if all power is gone.
3) Sometimes it feels as if the transmission is failed or isn't shifting properly, if at all. If you quickly jump on the gas you might be able to get the transmission to shift, but it won’t shift properly by itself. Shifting manually, the transmission goes through all the gears.

NOTE: The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics. The TPS function should be verified early in the troubleshooting process, when a transmission issue is suspected.

TPS TEST

You should have 5 volts going into the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It is best to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. At idle, TPS output voltage should be greater than .26 volts but less than .95 volts. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT. The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.

The TPS is sensitive to heat, moisture, and vibration, leading to the failure of some units. The sensor is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired only replaced. A TPS may fail gradually leading to a number of symptoms which can include one or more of the following:

-Poor idle control: The TPS is used by the ECU to determine if the throttle is closed and the car should be using the Idle Air Control Valve exclusively for idle control. A fault TPS sensor can confuse the ECU causing the idle to be erratic or "hunting".

- High Idle Speed: The TPS may report faulty values causing the engine idle speed to be increased above normal. This is normally found in conjunction with a slow engine return to idle speed symptom.

-Slow engine return to idle: A failing TPS can report the minimum throttle position values incorrectly which can stop the engine entering idle mode when the throttle is closed. Normally when the throttle is closed the engine fuel injectors will be deactivated until a defined engine RPM speed is reached and the engine brought smoothly to idle speed. When failing a TPS will not report the throttle closed and fueling will continue causing the engine to return to idle very slowly.

For the HO years, 91-02, the O2 sensor has 4 wires. One wire is the 12-14 volt power that comes from the O2 sensor heater relay on the passenger side firewall (unless they moved them in later years to the relay & fuse boxes?), and that powers the internal heater in the sensor so that the sensor can work at idle, and almost immedietly after start up. Loss of that power will hurt gas mileage even with a good O2 sensor.

Two black wires are grounds for the heater power and O2 signal to the ECU. A poor ground will limit current to the O2 sensors heater or cause an error in the O2 sensor output voltage read by the PCM (ECU) causing poor mileage even with a good O2 sensor. Test the 2 ground wires with power off. Test between the wire end at the sensor and the battery negative ground post. It should read less than 1 ohm.

The last wire, #4, is a signal feed wire, 0-1 volts, from the O2 sensor to the PCM (ECU) sensor. The O2 sensor is an O2 concentration sensitive variable voltage generator. At optimal O2 concentration the O2 sensor puts out 0.45 volts.

At idle that voltage should read 0.1-0.9 volts oscillating quickly back and forth roughly once every second. At 2000 rpm it should run between 0.4 and 0.5 volts max (in park). A digital meter can NOT be used for reading the O2 sensor voltage, but it can be used to test the grounds and the 12-14 volts to the heater. You must use an old style analog meter with the needle gauge on the display to see the voltage swing back and forth.

If the O2 sensor readings are not right, say they read .1 volts or .8 volts steady, you have a problem. BUT before you blame the O2 sensor make sure it has good wiring, and make sure the proper voltage is feeding it, by turning power on, engine off to read the engine off voltage feeds (12-14 on one, and ensure the ground wires (power off) reads less than 1 ohm to the battery negative post.

If any one of the grounds or the O2 sensor to ECU/PCM wires reads a high voltage chances are the wiring harness is damaged and the 12-14 volts for the O2 sensor heater is getting through a bad spot in the wires insulation and contacting a ground wire or the O2 sensor wire feed to the ECU/PCM. This is not the O2 sensors fault, but a wiring problem.

A leaky exhaust system or leaky fuel injector(s), or bad compression or leaky valves, bad plugs, wires, cap, rotor, HV coil, and so on, or combination of these, can also cause a lean or rich condition that gives you high or low O2 sensor readings that are not the O2 sensors fault, so try and verify those other items also before buying parts like an O2 sensor to fix your problem.

Back