• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped steering knuckle. (anyone know the Keensert size)

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
I stripped out my steering knuckle for my brake caliper. does anyone happen to know the keensert size or part # that i need. I would rather use a keensert than a helicoil. or does anyone have a better idea? I dont want to replace my knuckle because they are drilled for 1 ton steering and i dont have the tools to do it again.
Thanks

Drill it out to the next thread size and tap threads straight into the knuckle. Would'nt want to trust a brake caliper to be help on with an insert of anytype. Drill and tap the knucle and if need be drill the caliper bolt hole out to fit the bigger bolt.

DON'T USE AN INSERT.

Thread Inserts are a perfectly acceptable method to repair stripped out threads. The inserts are hardened and make stronger more durable threads than the original Cast Iron or Aluminum. We use them all the time when making new US Military contract parts. They are specified in the blueprints.

Heli-Coils or a thread insert will work just fine.

You can't use a larger bolt on the newer model brake caliper, it won't fit through the caliper sleeve.

Last edited:
Drill it out to the next thread size and tap threads straight into the knuckle. Would'nt want to trust a brake caliper to be help on with an insert of anytype. Drill and tap the knucle and if need be drill the caliper bolt hole out to fit the bigger bolt.

DON'T USE AN INSERT.

Because of the ginormous amounts of tensile force placed on those caliper bolts, they will instantly strip out, correct?

I'm with Tim_MN, the helicoils are strong and will be fine, as well as the only way to have the correct bolt size.

Weve used time-sert on vehicles. I feel there better than a helicoil since your actually drilling and tapping the knuckle one size over and instering the time-sert that is sized for your caliper bolt.

The helicoils ive seen look to be just a coil that works as threads? I dunno theyve always looked cheap and weak. Ive never used a helicoil just the time-serts so i could be wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I work with helicoils everyday at work. we machine parts for different aircraft companys and they call for helicoils in their blueprints. I have no doubt that they are strong enough i just think they would probably only be good for one use.( if you took the bolt out you would need a new helicoil.) so anyways a keencert same as the other insert mentioned above, does anyone know what size the tread is on the outside? is it like a 9mmx1.25? isnt the bolt a 8mmx1.25. thanks

Heli-Coils are a permanent repair, the bolts can be installed and removed dozens of times.

All the insert manufactures websites have all the specifications for the threads, tap drill, and tap required for installation of their products.

i did this a few weeks back.. I used original JB weld and stuck a heat lamp on it for 10 hours. Left it that way for weekend wheeling trip and a week of DD. then swapped the knuckle out when i sourced one..

I stripped out my steering knuckle for my brake caliper. does anyone happen to know the keensert size or part # that i need. I would rather use a keensert than a helicoil. or does anyone have a better idea? I dont want to replace my knuckle because they are drilled for 1 ton steering and i dont have the tools to do it again.
Thanks

I am 99% sure they are M8x1.25 metric bolts.

Back