• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird smoking issue...ANY IDEAS??

theviper90210

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have a 99 xj 4.0 aw4 4x4, the motor that came in it was running ok when i bought it but i think it had a blown head gasket and then got worse. So i replaced the motor with another 4.0 i think it was from a 93 or 94 xj, When I bought the motor the guy I bought it from got it from a guy that redid all the seals and gaskets and such in the motor (now neither of us know what that entailed except for what is visible) everything looked good and the motor was painted. All I had to do was drop the motor in and install a distributor. Anyways its been in the jeep for prob 6 months now being driven almost daily, and runs great.

Heres the thing it will starts smoking out the exhaust. It is random it does not always do it, idle, driving, whatever. it will only do it at idle and only sometimes. Now last night i realized why its random, it only smokes when the aux electric fan turns on, the smoke will stop when the fan stops. So what is going on when the fan comes on that would make it smoke.

-Now i know i need a new fuel pump and cat (its been crushed) if you think its related

Last edited:
Back